Coupler alignment of my "f9"

Started by rchielk, December 10, 2010, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchielk

I've just recently purchased a used set of Bachman engines. the F9 diesel Chessie system and I can't get the couplers to align right with my rolling stock of freights. It will line up good with my 85' santa fe passenger #507. What can I do to get the alignment straight.  The couplers on the engines are higher than my rolling stock couplers.

jward

are these couplers the older horn hook style? or the newer knuckle style?
are the couplers truck mounted? or are they mounted to the bodies of the locomotive and cars?

once we know the answers it will be easier to help you.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rchielk

These are rapido couplers and they are mounted on the trucks.  I have installed new coupler housing and couplers and in one instace have put in a new spring but they still will not lay flat. and when they do lay flat, once you try to couple them with a car they tend to stay up in the air. thanks for helping.

simkon

So you have N scale...not HO...did you try converting everything to working knuckle couplers?

jward

the f9s are difficult to convert to knuckle (micro trains) couplers. there are onversion kits available. but i never was able to get them to work reliably on this locomotive.

the rapido coupler should lay flat. your spring might be too tight. you could carefully trim about a half to full turn off the spring and see if this improves things. either that or see if you can find another spring that is softer.

overall, the rapido couplers work very weel even if they look horrible.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rchielk

Thanks for the infomation. I will try to locate a softer spring.  I think they have them in the parts dept on line.