NEM adaptors available for Bachmann trains

Started by Hobojohn, December 12, 2010, 03:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobojohn

Are there Bachmann NEM coupler pockets available to mount on Bachmann HO locomotives.
It makes it possible to insert couplers of other brands.

Hope to hear from you

Thank you
John Baron

Netherlands.

simkon

The closest thing they have is an American style coupler that fits into an NEM coupler pocket, Bachmann USA does not themselves have an NEM coupler pocket. You can try contacting Bachmann UK or their other affiliates.
E-Z MateĀ® Mark II NEM Coupler
Product Information
Fits into standard European coupler pockets for simple conversion to E-Z Mate operation.
Price: $21.50
Product Code: 78035

Hobojohn

Thank you simkon.
What you show is indeed the coupler itself,
What I am looking for is the pocket it goes into.

Thse pockets do not seem to be available for the American-type locomotives of Bachmann.
Funny though , they supply the coupler, not the pocket.
Another unsolved mistery in Bachmann railroading..........

Cheers.

John Baron.

Jim Banner

I am not exactly sure why the NEM coupler pockets have never caught on in North America.  Perhaps it is our propensity for pulling longer trains.  I have, on occasion, straightened out the jaws on metal Kadee couplers when pulling 40+ cars up a steep grade with 4 locomotives.  The NEM plug-inwill not take anywhere near that stress.

I suspect Simpkin was trying to suggest putting together an adapter car using one of your cars with NEM pockets on both ends.  That way you could use the coupler he shows on one end of the car to couple to Bachmann products and use one of your railroad's standard couplers on the other end to couple to the rest of your cars.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hobojohn

Thank you Jim, thank you all,

Perhaps I should have been more specific: the goal was to add a European style coupler on an American model of the bachmann GP40 West Maryland 3799 through the NEM pocket.

Such a type of pocket is not being offered by Bachmann.  Meanwhile the challenge is met through Liliput, one of the two  European branches of Bachmann. They offer them. Hope they will fit the locomotive.
Thanks for your replies fawkes!
John Baron
Netherlands.