News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reasonable Decoder for Bachmann Steamers

Started by kskato, December 12, 2010, 05:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kskato

What do you guys use for a reasonable (meaning reasonably inexpensive/ reasonable quality)
2-function decoders for your recently released HO Bachmann steamers?
( I take it all you need is 2-function for directional lights for all the 5-pole Bachmanns steam )

Say something more versatile than the Bachmann decoder.
Just for units you don't need sound for, just need a 'more tune-able' decoder for running
characteristics.

And just to make it more challenging_ is there a 'one decoder fits all ' so I can order on a
'quantity discount' from a dealer.  ;D

Jim Banner

The Digitrax DH123D is a low cost, 2 function decoder available from Tony's for about $15.50 in quantity.

The Digitrax DZ125 is a tiny decoder costing about $4.50 more but it will physically fit about everything and has BEMF control which really makes steamers perform beautifully at low speeds.  The 1 amp motor output will run most modern steamers but I recommend you do a stall current test just to be sure.

The Digitrax DH163, less than $24 in quantity at Tony's,  provides BEMF with a heftier motor output for those who cannot be bothered to do stall tests.  The four extra function outputs can be used, for example, to operate a cab light (for reading orders at night,) under cab work lights (for oiling around at night,) firebox flicker, and still leave you one extra output.

Personally, I keep a supply of both the DZ125 and DH123D on hand.  Usually I install the DZ125 when I can (I always do a stall current test)  but if the stall current is too high for a DZ125 or the person wants a decoder at an absolutely rock bottom price, I install a DH123D.

If your locomotives are new enough to have decoder sockets in their tenders, you can also purchase these decoders with suitable plugs for a few dollars more.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

Either a DZ125 or DZ123 depending on the amount of size in the tender.

Jim Banner

The DZ125 and the older (obsolescent?) DZ123 are virtually the same size but the DZ123 lacks BEMF control and Sound Bug compatibility.  I understand Digitrax dropped the DZ123 (except for one locomotive specific version for Z scale) when they brought out the DZ125.  But there may still be some out there working their way through the system.  Personally, I doubt if many people are willing to pay more for a less capable decoder, but if they are readily available at a negotiable price ...

Jim

GARYBEAR

You will not find the Digitrax DH123D 2 function decoder to be plug-n-play, but the DH123P and DH123PS variants include harnesses ending with the NMRA 8 pin plugs that are plug-n-play to Bachmann DCC ready, or as replacement decoders to  DCC On Board locomotives.  If you search the internet, you can find them for $17.25 each.

jdmike

Train Control Systems (TCS) have excellent low cost decoders. I use many of thier T1 decoders for basic installs, cost is around $20 from the local hobby shop.  We have had excellent reliablity out of them over the digitrax decoders and they are more easily delt with when there is a problem with thier "goof proof" warrenty from TCS.     Mike

richg

Go to the below link. Email them. They will have suggestions. Very good service. Shipping resonable under $75.00. Free shipping above $75.00. I buy all my DCC stuff from them and I buy from Tony's Trains when they are at a local show near me.
I have bought the DZ125 for $19.95. They carry other brands. Do some reading at the site. Most of the decoder specs are there.
I have heard of only one negative about them and it was from, They Say and I heard.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

Store the link.

Rich

Jim Banner

Quote from: GARYBEAR on December 13, 2010, 02:07:02 AM
You will not find the Digitrax DH123D 2 function decoder to be plug-n-play, but the DH123P and DH123PS variants include harnesses ending with the NMRA 8 pin plugs that are plug-n-play to Bachmann DCC ready, or as replacement decoders to  DCC On Board locomotives.

You are exactly right.

Jim

kskato

Thanks Gentleman,, sounds like the kind of decoder I was looking for.

I was surfing around this weekend.

Oh,,Bachmann & their decoders....Needs to reorganize their price structure/sources.
Decoder 44915- $21.00 (best discount dealer price I saw.
And.....
Digitrax DH123P & DH123P can be had for same price [or less!! ]

Now a 44915- $21.00 (best discount dealer price I saw....
If ordered out of UK is $11.75 (converted discount dealer price in UK _ pn#36-552
-with 44915 even printed on it!  ::)
Check the Backmann UK site out.
FYI_ [old Lenz model according to pundents on UK train forums, not well liked]

UK modelers also have..
36-553 _ 3 function 1A decoder with 8 pin plug, 350ma function output & back EMF
[old ESU Basic chip acording to pundents on UK forums, well liked for a cheap decoder]
Same $11.75 price [ discount dealer price.
{why dosen't backmann offer that one as a nice Bachmann-Budget decoder to us?}

36-554 3 function 2 sided 1A decoder with 21 pin plug and back EMF
$13.16 @ discount dealer price.
[re-badged ESU Basic]
Though I guess 21 pin isn't that big over here(?)

It was amusing, TCS chips are popular over there.
At least the US is exporting something_to someone else_somewhere !  :)

Howard

richg

Might be useful to know. Some over on your side of the pond have ordered from Litchfield and had good service.

Rich

kskato

Quote from: jdmike on December 13, 2010, 05:40:30 PM
Train Control Systems (TCS) have excellent low cost decoders. I use many of their T1 decoders for basic installs, cost is around $20 from the local hobby shop.  We have had excellent reliability out of them over the digitrax decoders and they are more easily delt with when there is a problem with thier "goof proof" warrenty from TCS.     Mike

I have a T1 in my HHP-8, runs nice,, to me anyway once I played with Cv's.
I like TCS too.
I think of them as a quality mid-priced decoder right now.
And yeah the 'goof-proof' is nice for guys like me.
      Just they are $28.00-30.00 + $5.00 for plug harness @ LHS.
And it was confusing @ TCS site trying to find a Part # for a T1 or whatever with 8-pin plug attached.
I didn't know what all the letters after the number meant, and they kept showing decoders with all these extra functions/wires to solder that i wasn't in the market for.
So that got me off on the search for a modest priced decoder.
Just give me ...   Plug & Play ...  Plug & Play ....
   I thought there has to be a decent quality decoder somewhere out there
with 8-pin harness attached (not 9)
decent CV range (just a wee bit more than start voltage+accel/decel),
Bemf
2-functions (so many loco's just need directional lights) .
   Right now if i want all the 'bells & whistles' and 100 CV's to adjust I'll get a 'DCC Sound on board'.
  I'll get brave later with the soldering iron,
and try some extra lights, sound unit, whatever. :P

Thanks,,
Howard