News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Help On30

Started by Mindless64, December 05, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindless64

I am thinking of buying a Trolley ON30 scale

I know it runs on HO size track but is the vehicle true O scale in size?  I have an O Scale Lionel set will this look out of place running next to this set. IF not true O scale is it just slightly smaller and will it look OK?

It says also DC current does that mean I have to buy a special transformer or can I use my 80 watt Lionel transformer? 

Finally, how can you add bell sounds to a trolley if it does not come with it standard?

JohnR

On30 is O Scale (1:48).  But it also narrow gauge.  Narrow gauge equipment is smaller than standard gauge (eg. Lionel .. sorta).  The people are the same.  The buildings are the same.  The equipment is proportioned to stay on the narrower rail separation.

-John

Mindless64

Thanks for info have any answer for my dc current question in my post?

mabloodhound

DC is pretty much the same with the voltage to your trains being controlled by the transformer dial/wheel.
My question would be, how are you going to control the trolley, on a separate HO track, while running the Lionel train?
I would think you would want a separate controller for the trolley.   These are available on e-bay and elsewhere for low cost.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Hamish K

You can NOT use an AC 3 rail O scale controller such as the Lionel CW 80 with On30 or any other DC equipment. You will need a separate controller. If you bought a reversing streetcar set you would get one with the set, otherwise a simple controller such as the basic Bachmann DC controller  should be sufficient

Hamish

mabloodhound

I forgot that the Lionel was AC.   Thanks Hamish.   It's been a long time since I did anything with 3 rail.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Mindless64

Thank you to you both, I am in fact running it on a seperate system or that is what I planned, just wanted to make sure the cars were still in scale with my lionel set.  I have been looking on e-bay for a controller, many do not tell you if it is AC or DC which poses a problem but iI am close... thanks to you all for yor help. Mike

Jim Banner

As far as controllers are concerned, dc ones are usually referred to as 'power packs' and ac ones as 'transformers.'  If the seller doesn't know which he is selling, perhaps you should try a different seller.

As John mentioned, 0n30 is 0-scale, 1/48 of full size.  But full size narrow gauge which is real life tended to be smaller than full size standard gauge.  Then again, many street car lines were smaller than standard gauge.  The four wheel 'puddle jumpers' that the 0n30 models represent look considerably smaller than the big, standard gauge interurban cars.

Just to complicate things, Lionel actually came in two scales, both of which ran on 0-gauge track.  The full size Lionel which ran on 0-72 track was noticeably bigger than the 3/4 sized Lionel that ran on 0-27 track (and was often labelled 0-27.)  Bottom line, when you compare Lionel 0-27 to the 0n30 street cars, they look just fine together.  If you compare the same street cars to the full size Lionel, they appear a bit small, but definitely still in scale.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.