Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 SPECTRUM SMOKE

Started by RJH, December 15, 2010, 03:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJH

What smoke generator would fit into a 4-6-0 spectrum series #84901

Atlantic Central

Since that loco is small, and has a cast metal boiler, it is not likely that any smoke unit would fit in it without major machine work.

If I may ask, why do you want smoke? In general, it is not very realistic when compared to real steam locos and the smoke fumes are not good for you or your train layout.

For me, smoke is better left to my imagination.

Sheldon

RJH

The layout is a project for my son and I and his biggest wish for Christmas is to have a steam engine w/ smoke.

richg

I would doubt it. Below  is a photo of the inside of this loco. You can see a printer circuit board for the LED lighting. The stack is kind of right above the center of the cylinders and above the PC board.
I have experience with locos but this is something I would never try. It is a bear to remove the boiler and a big bear to get the loco boiler back on the frame.

The smoke might fit up inside the sack but getting everything back together will be quite a challenge.
You will need a output from a decoder or somehow figure out how to power from DC.
The voltage to the LED is quite low because of the resistor for the LED on the tender PC board which is about 2700 ohms.

Rich

rogertra

Why on earth would you want to add a smoke unit to any steam locomotive?

They don't look realistic and make a mess.

Doneldon

RJH-

I agree 150% with Roger and second Rich's warnings about making the smoker fit.  If you really must have smoke, purchase a different loco which already has it installed.  The Bachmann 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 are all smoke equipped and not too expensive.  They're not great locos but they'll smoke and make the little guy smile for less than the hassle value of trying to put smoke into the 10-wheeler.
                                                                                                                                                 -- D