Help me Identify this Diesel Locomotive in BTTF

Started by DMC-4-6-0, December 19, 2010, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMC-4-6-0

Can everyone here Help me Identify this Diesel Locomotive that hit and RAN OVER the DeLorean time machine at the end of Back to the Future III

Thanks
I do not "GET LOST IN TIME" -
I "INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS."

"Sometimes you have to role a hard six"

DMC-4-6-0

I found this information that said  The diesel is a Alco, RS/SW series (circa late 1940s/50s)

Anyone know if thats right?

richg

Do a Google seaarch for Ventura County Railway bttf.

Rich

jward

those are alco s6 switchers. they are one of the few alco switchers with end radiators like an emd. the headlights give away that they were originally southern pacific.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Michigan Railfan

I followed a link that was on Rich's last post, and it had a link to the actual crossing that was in the film on google earth. I may have found the ravine that was used. Click on the link that is at the bottom of the page that says google street view, and put this in the search bar:
2901-2999 N Ventura Rd
Oxnard‎ California‎ 93036
United States

It is a large wooden bridge that goes across a large ravine. It's down the line that the crossing is on. It's very far from the crossing, but it's still on the same line.

*The bridge is just down on the screen from the building it takes you to on the address. Follow the ravine down the page and you will see it. 

And something else not related to BTTF, a very good place on Google earth to see many switcher units, such as SW's and MP's, and hot metal bottle cars, coke cars, and many other industrial trains, type this into the search bar in google earth:
42° 17' 5" N  83° 6' 41" W

DMC-4-6-0

Are there any HO models of the Alco s6 switchers?

Thanks for all the Info and help so far  ;D

jward

i don't believe so, unless they are brass models.

the s6 is one of the very few diesels never done by a major model company.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA