News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler

Started by tinomo, December 17, 2010, 10:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinomo

can we replace the old coupler by the new ezy mate coupler and is it easy to do ?
I'm new in train domain.

jonathan

Generally speaking, it is easy.  It depends on the age of the equipment.  Some old rolling stock have truck-mounted couplers, and can be a bear to work with.

Regards,

Jonathan

tinomo

We have the train since 5 years ago and i want to buy a new loco who have this new connector and i want to buy more trains.

jward

if you can post a photo of your train cars we'd be able to give you specific details on converting them to knuckle type couplers (ez mate or kadee)
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tinomo

Quote from: jward on December 18, 2010, 09:37:31 AM
if you can post a photo of your train cars we'd be able to give you specific details on converting them to knuckle type couplers (ez mate or kadee)
Here's the picture you requested.

jward

i notice this is atruck mounted coupler on a passenger coach. your easiest solution would be to buy a boxcar or express reefer to run between your passenger cars and the locomotive. you can replace the coupler on one end with the horn hook type on your cars. the other end should retain the knuckle type coupler, so you can use your new locomotive to pull the train.

in general, trying to replace truck mounted couplers, especially on long cars, is tricky. coupler height is critical with knuckle couplers, and the mounting boxes on the trucks are often completely wrong in height. there are exceptions, but in general the conversion car is the easiest thing to do.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

tinomo-

The conversion car is also a whole lot quicker
and cheaper.  You only have to convert one
coupler on one car!  You could argue that you
must also buy a car but you'd want an express
car on the head end of most passenger trains
anyway so it's really not an additional expense.

-- D