News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Car Confusion...

Started by Striker1945, December 20, 2010, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1945

I recently bought the Cavalier set for my below my xmas tree while I reconstruct my main layout which was taken down before I went to college. The train ran well for a good hour and then the middle passenger car derailed. I had no clue what made it derail so I took the train from the tracks and disassembled the track. I re-built the small oval I made with the track included and I checked all the connections to make sure it was all smooth and then set the train back up and ran it. The train made one or two runs and then the same passenger car derailed. I was yet again unsure as to what was going on. On closer inspection of the car I noticed that one block of wheels doesn't turn as fast or as much as the other block (on the same car) I was wondering if that would affect the car and cause it to derail consistently?

Jim Banner

I am a little unsure of what you are telling us.  The "block" of wheels is generally referred to as a "truck."  Are you saying that the truck does not swivel as freely as the other truck?  This could cause derailments, particularly as the train goes into or comes out of a curve.  Or are you saying the wheels on that truck do not turn as fast as the other wheels?  If so, this would mean the wheels are skidding which in turn would mean something is trying to stop them from turning.  Turn the car upside down and make sure all the axles spin freely.  If one does not, check the ends of the axle very carefully, preferably using a strong light and a magnifying glass to see if there is any lint, hair, or fuzz caught in the truck side frames at those points.  Sometimes you will have to take the axle right out to see it.  Something else to check is the passenger car couplers.  For some reason, they tend to sag on certain cars.  If they are too low, sometimes the bent wire trip pin will catch of something, derailing the car.  And while you are at it, make sure the couplers swing sideways easily.

If none of this helps, let us know and we will give you some more things to check for.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.