News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Control switch power? New to trains....

Started by jwhite38, December 27, 2010, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhite38

Bought an HO scale Iron King and Santa Fe train sets for my kid.  I am running both trains on one long track.( Makes one big loop along a 12ft wall) One train always catches up with the other and I constantly have to watch it. I am currently running one control switch for the track. Do I need to run both control switches to the same piece of connector track, or hook up another piece of connector track and hook up the control switch to that one as well? Or just try something completely different?  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

IronKing

I am also interested in the answer to your questions. I am also new to trains.

Did you have to do anything special to get the Iron King locomotive to function? Mine does nothing. The other train set works perfectly on the same track.

jward

you'll have to isolate your track into at least 3 sections to run two dc trains at the same time.

the concept is called block wiring, and it's covered in detail here:
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/wiring.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

jwhite38,
I am not quite sure what you mean by "control switch."  Do you mean the speed controller as shown below?

Connecting two of these to the same track will not solve the problem of different locomotive speed.  In fact, you run the risk of damaging one or both of them if you connect their outputs together, either directly or through the rails.  Having said that, you can connect one controller  to sections or blocks of rails that the other controller is NOT connected to.  Take a look at the article jward referred to above.

IronKing,
When one locomotive will work on your layout but another will not, the locomotive that will not run is faulty.  Many (but not all) Bachmann steam locomotives have wires between the locomotive and the tender.  If yours does, make sure the plugs are inserted properly into their sockets, otherwise the locomotive will not work.  If you bought the set from a local hobby shop, take the locomotive and tender back and have them test it for you.  Failing all else, the locomotive may need to go back to Bachmann for repairs.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jwhite38

Yes Jim, that is what I am referring to. Sorry, I am not well versed in everything yet. Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate you and Jward answering our questions.  Thanks a bunch.

Quote from: Jim Banner on December 27, 2010, 09:18:20 PM
jwhite38,
I am not quite sure what you mean by "control switch."  Do you mean the speed controller as shown below?

Connecting two of these to the same track will not solve the problem of different locomotive speed.  In fact, you run the risk of damaging one or both of them if you connect their outputs together, either directly or through the rails.  Having said that, you can connect one controller  to sections or blocks of rails that the other controller is NOT connected to.  Take a look at the article jward referred to above.

IronKing,
When one locomotive will work on your layout but another will not, the locomotive that will not run is faulty.  Many (but not all) Bachmann steam locomotives have wires between the locomotive and the tender.  If yours does, make sure the plugs are inserted properly into their sockets, otherwise the locomotive will not work.  If you bought the set from a local hobby shop, take the locomotive and tender back and have them test it for you.  Failing all else, the locomotive may need to go back to Bachmann for repairs.

Jim