News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scrambled 36-552 decoders

Started by JOHNBEDEW, December 19, 2010, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOHNBEDEW

I have a ZTC control system with Bachmann 36-552 decoders in the locos.   Over time a number of the decoders have ceased to be recognised at all by the controller ( and when I get the controller to scan for the Loco cv, it fails to "see" it.  I have read elsewhere that I need to instal an isolation switch between the controller and track that should be opened whenever the layout is powered up or down to prevent the scrambling of the decoders and I obviously need to do this urgently!

My question is how can I recover/reset the decoders if the system will not even recognise the loco cv?  Can they be reset at all? Or will I have to buy ned decoders (ouch!)
Thanks
J

Doneldon

JBD-

You can reset everything to factory settings
and then reprogram your decoder.  You
don't need the decoder's address to do
this.
                                 --D

JOHNBEDEW

Thanks but unfortunately this doesn't work.
Having input Point Loco 8 Preset 8 Enter R
The 511 responds with " No response received" or Found  - 3-------(8).
However if I then try and reprogram from 3 to another number,   The 511 does not detect it!

I now have some 9 locos like this, and short of buying new decoders, I do not know what to do. ANy further ideas please?

John

Jim Banner

Do you have any locomotives that you can program?  If all your locomotives have the same problem, then I would suspect your DCC system is faulty, assuming it is wired correctly.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JOHNBEDEW

Yes, I have 9 locos programmed ok - and have changed some of those to make sure the programming is working OK which it is.

John

Jim Banner

This is beginning to sound a lot like the well known incompatibility between certain Bachmann decoders and the Digitrax Zephyr DCC system.  The best I can suggest is contacting Bachmann service to see if there is any known incompatibility between the particular decoder and you ZTC DCC system and also contacting ZTC Industries to see if there is any known incompatibility between the ZTC DCC system you have and the particular Bachmann decoders that are giving you problems.  If ZTC has run into this before, they may already have a patch or a work around.

As a Zephyr owner, I know how frustrating this sort of issue can be until you find the solution.  I wish you good luck and godspeed finding the cure, and hope you will take the time to post it here when you do.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.