News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TRACK POWER

Started by POPPAPAT, November 28, 2010, 10:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POPPAPAT

I just bought a Bachmann Explorer Set and I noticed as I add more ez track for my four foot by seven foot layout that the train got slower on the far end of the track. What can I do to improve this?

skipgear

Add additional feeders, about half way around from where you current power point is. If that improves it enough, you are fine. If not, add more feeders half way between the two feeds for a total of four.

Every rail joint is a point of resistance. What you will be doing is bypassing the rail joints and adding a second power feed that you wire in parallel with the primary power feed. This feeds direct power to the back of the layout instead of relying on all those power robbing rail joiners.

Hope that makes sense.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

POPPAPAT

thanks skipgear. I am new to train layouts I had a couple of trains growing up but never nothing this big. So I am sure gonna need a lot of help..! Is there any good books or dvd's that can give me more knowlage about how to wire a feeder...? Also by feeder do you mean another controller pack...? Thanks again and happy railroading.

simkon

A feeder is just a second set of wires coming from the first power pack, they can be wired so you have a large wire which you tap into with a smaller wire to get power to the rest of the track. Hooking up a second power source would not be a good idea and could let out some "magic smoke."

DoubleDAZ

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I had the same question and a couple others.  I bought the Empire Builder set, so I'm using EZ track and plan to add terminal tracks at various points throughout the layout.  I'm new to EZ Track.  How do I connect the red wires from the terminal tracks?  Do I cut the ends off and splice them all to a single feed that then plugs into the controller that came with the set?  Or does someone sell female connectors I could use to build some sort of terminal strip?  How many terminal tracks will the power supply included in the set support?  I noticed there are terminal connectors that can be purchased.  It doesn't seem like I could use those without filing a place for the wires to fit so the track sections still connect completely.  Is there a better way to do all this?

A side question:  If I can I use the power connectors, can I also use the non-power connectors to separate reverse loops?  I do plan to upgrade to DCC later and I notice the EZ Command System has an automatic reverse loop module that eliminates the complicated wiring (I assume the switches).

Thanks for any help.  I'm still in the planning stage for a portable 4x8 table top layout using 1x3's or 1x4's to make a base consisting of two 4x4 sections and a grid of 16" squares.  I'd like 2 reverse loops to allow continuous running in both directions, upper and lower levels, but that may turn out to be problematic especially since I want to be able to separate the 4x4 sections.  An alternative strategy is two 2x8 sections.

DoubleDAZ

Found my answer about the insulated rail joiners in another thread, Atlas code 55 IRJ #2091.

bobwrgt

You can add as many terminal tracks as you need with no problem. They will have to be spliced into the connector to the power pack. Instead of terminal tracks you could solder wires to the regular rail joiners, if your soldering skill is good. You can also look to purchase some rail joiners with wire already soldered on. Then replace those on the section you want.

Bob