News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

axle sets

Started by gandy dancer#1, December 24, 2010, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

Hi to all: I am new here and myself and grandson, he's 2 and 1/2 just got a new bachman chatanooga  train for x-mas. basically a beginners set in ho. My question is  i noticed the wheels on the cars are plastic and cheaply constructed. I have been reading and saw metal axle kits available, would you recomend swapping for these??I am very happy to have found this site,and am looking forward to our new found hobby" as he is train crazy!!!
M.R.BURNS

jward

the plastic wheels should be adequate for use, afterall plastic wheels were the standard for many years. but metal wheels roll easier, stay clean longer, add wieght to the car and have that clickety clack sound. if you do wish to change over to metal wheels, bachmann and many others make good wheelsets. 33" wheels should be a drop in replacement for most freight cars.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

gd#1-

Two-and-a-half is a bit young for HO.  You would have better success with O-scale or large scale trains.  But... you've got the HO so let's see what we can do.

I'd definitely change the wheels to metal ones.  But most important, see that the cars are adequately weighted.  Average 6" HO cars should be about 3.5 ounces.  Much less and they won't track well at all.  Be prepared for a child who would rather push his trains along (very hard on delicate HO equipment) at least as much as he wants to see them run on their own.
                                                                                                                                                                         -- D