News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overland Limited Front Wheel Issue

Started by asuheels, December 25, 2010, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asuheels

I recently purchased the overland limited set and so far it runs well.  However, the two front wheels on the locomotive do not always contact the track and the back two do with no problem.  Seems that there is not enough weight on these wheels?  Has anyone else had such an issue and what can be done to add weight?

the Bach-man

Dear asu,
Do you mean the small front wheels or the front drivers?
Thanks!
the Bach-man

bobwrgt

Make sure your track is smooth and level. You may have a joint that is not connected properly. If it is , then check the front to see if there is something restricting the swing of the front wheel Boigie. Does this happen on the straight or curve??

Bob

asuheels

Thank you all for your response.  It is the small front wheels and happens more in the curves.

ASUHEELS

bobwrgt

You can check the wheel gauge of the front set. Check the distance between the backs of the wheels to see if they are spread out. Best thing to use is a wheel gauge from a hobby shop (NMRA gauge. If the wheels are spread you can push and rotate them together a little. Compare them to the setting of the drive wheels. If you look down close you will probably will see they are lifting off the rail on one side going around a curve.
You can also add a small lead weight to the bottom of the truck with some glue. Has to clear the re-railer if you are using one. Not sure if the Overland has a spring in the front for down pressure on the truck. This might be harder to spread and exert more down pressure.

Bob

asuheels

Thank you Bob.  Do you think a small amount of lead tape would add sufficient weight?

ASUHEELS

john.001

Problem:  Mine seemed to be a weight/balance problem.  The locomotive tended to press against the front assembly, causing it to be slightly raised up causing the wheels to come off the track which, ultimately, resulted in derailment.  I found the unit defective.

Background:  My unit was a Bachmann Empire Builder in N-scale.  I adjusted the front assembly several times (loose, tight, etc.), but the end result was the same, it repeatedly derailed.  Finally gave up and returned it and moved to an HO which I can see better.  This unit doesn't have the front assembly problem.

Bluecoatscheesypoofs

The front truck does NOT have a spring on it. Make sure that the screw holding the truck down is not too tight. This may be the issue. If you have further difficulties send your locomotive in to Bachmann with a proof of purchase and they will repair it for free.
              Matt Wilson

redfisher

I just had the same problem with the rear wheels and slightly bent the metal strip that holds the wheels down. This gave the wheels a pre-load as the engine was placed on the track. They haven't left the track since.

asuheels

Guys, I am going to shelf mount the train in my kids room and hopefully with the track level the wheels will not have a contact problem, but will keep in mind the suggestions here.  Thanks.

Bennett Allen
ASUHEELS
Dunn, NC

srevac

Quote from: Bluecoatscheesypoofs on December 28, 2010, 12:53:28 AM
The front truck does NOT have a spring on it. Make sure that the screw holding the truck down is not too tight. This may be the issue. If you have further difficulties send your locomotive in to Bachmann with a proof of purchase and they will repair it for free.
              Matt Wilson

I recently aquired a #806 Union Pacific that looks like the one from the Overland Express set and it DOES  have a spring on the front truck.