News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Making a N track layout longer question

Started by darticus, December 27, 2010, 08:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Can you just add straights or does it change angles. The layout I'm using could be bigger, longer, as I have more table. Whats the best way to make it longer without causing track going together problems? Thanks Ron

Joe Satnik

Dear Ron,

Nice Layout.  Good job, so far. 

Hey, I just noticed...2 complete loops.  Time for train races !

Draw a vertical line about 3/4 the way to the right of your layout. 

You will notice it crosses 7 straights: 5 horizontal (outside) and 2 diagonal (inside).

Split your layout in 7 places near the vertical line and add straights one a time to the 5 horizontals, and one at a time to the 2 diagonals.

If you wanted to make it wider, just split the end curves (2 each end) along a middle horizontal line and add straights one at a time to the 4 curves. 

"You can never have enough straights".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

darticus

I'm sure you have the expansion point right . All I have to do is understand what you said. I will study what you wrote. Just length needed.  Can you see the spot where I would add the straights on my pic. Anyway you could point me to them. Thinking of using flex track for the straights. Thanks Ron

Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 27, 2010, 11:09:19 AM
Dear Ron,

Nice Layout.  Good job, so far. 

Hey, I just noticed...2 complete loops.  Time for train races !

Draw a vertical line about 3/4 the way to the right of your layout. 

You will notice it crosses 7 straights: 5 horizontal (outside) and 2 diagonal (inside).

Split your layout in 7 places near the vertical line and add straights one a time to the 5 horizontals, and one at a time to the 2 diagonals.

If you wanted to make it wider, just split the end curves (2 each end) along a middle horizontal line and add straights one at a time to the 4 curves. 

"You can never have enough straights".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

rrtreerat

Well one good spot to put in a couple of straight pieces is between the crossover turnouts 1 & 2 and the siding turnout 9 at the top of the plan.
The other spot is two places, either just past turnouts 4 & 5 (I'd put the extra track between 3 & 5 on the inner track and to the right of turnout 4.) or between turnout 8 and the curve.
just keep it equal on both sides.
N-Scale and Plant-N-Trak Coordinator

Joe Satnik

Dear Ron,

I guess it's a little harder to describe than I thought.

Let's make things a little simpler. 

The only critical "will it still fit?" concerns are the 2 loops. 

The two outside stub ended sidings can be lengthened til you run off the table.

The three inside "X" leg stub sidings can be lengthened til you run into the inner loop. 

Back to the loops.

If you want to expand horizontally (left to right on layout book page), you would split each loop in 2 places (once on the upper side of the loop, and once on the lower side of the loop) where ever there is a vertical (top to bottom on the layout book page) gap between the tracks.   

Notice on your diagram that there is a line (wire) drawn from Cab B power pack to the bottom of the first selector switch.  If you extend the vertical portion of that drawn line down through the loops, you will notice that

it hits a gap between a 5/8" straight and a 19"R curve on the upper outer loop, then

a gap between a straight and a 19"R curve on the upper inner loop, then

a gap between two 19"R curves on the lower inner loop, and then

a gap between a 5/8" straight and a 19"R curve on the lower outer loop. 

Split those gaps and add four equal lengths of straights to those gaps.   

For example, if you wanted to expand your layout 5" in length (horizontally), add a 5" straight to each of those 4 gaps. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

darticus

Thanks for your help. I started to use flex track and hope to extend both loops left. If this goes south I'll be back to your info. Ron
Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 28, 2010, 11:20:41 AM
Dear Ron,

I guess it's a little harder to describe than I thought.

Let's make things a little simpler. 

The only critical "will it still fit?" concerns are the 2 loops. 

The two outside stub ended sidings can be lengthened til you run off the table.

The three inside "X" leg stub sidings can be lengthened til you run into the inner loop. 

Back to the loops.

If you want to expand horizontally (left to right on layout book page), you would split each loop in 2 places (once on the upper side of the loop, and once on the lower side of the loop) where ever there is a vertical (top to bottom on the layout book page) gap between the tracks.   

Notice on your diagram that there is a line (wire) drawn from Cab B power pack to the bottom of the first selector switch.  If you extend the vertical portion of that drawn line down through the loops, you will notice that

it hits a gap between a 5/8" straight and a 19"R curve on the upper outer loop, then

a gap between a straight and a 19"R curve on the upper inner loop, then

a gap between two 19"R curves on the lower inner loop, and then

a gap between a 5/8" straight and a 19"R curve on the lower outer loop. 

Split those gaps and add four equal lengths of straights to those gaps.   

For example, if you wanted to expand your layout 5" in length (horizontally), add a 5" straight to each of those 4 gaps. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik

If your 4 loop gaps are vertical, and your 4 flex track cuts are equal in length, you should be good to go.