News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound

Started by john.001, December 27, 2010, 08:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

Just purchased a Bachmann, "The Explorer," with DCC on board (whatever that means), Produce Code 51301.  The engine is a DCC Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, Union Pacific # 724.  No sound.

1.  Can sound be added to the engine?  If so, how?
2.  Other than the Bachmann trackside shed with pushbutton sound, does Bachmann (or anyone else) have anything to simply add with a couple of wires and a little time) to make it more authentic?

Thank you.

ACY

Step by step instructions....
First check to see how much current you loco draws with a multimeter.
Second see what decoders would be compatible by measuring the available space in the tender.
The loco has an 8-pin socket, so to make things easier buy a decoder with an 8-pin plug.
Find a speaker and baffle that will fit in the tender.
See if the tender has holes drilled out for sound, if not, drill small holes into the bottom.
Buy 1 Steam Sound decoder with speaker and baffle of your liking.
Unscrew all screws not going to the couplers or trucks on the bottom of the tender.
Remove the tender shell.
Construct a test track with a resistor in case you should make an error.
Remove the Bachmann 1 AMP decoder and replace with your decoder. Be sure to match up the wires, the pin locations are marked so you should know which way to put it in.
Plug the speaker into the decoder, position speaker and baffle as desired.
Replace tender shell and screws.
Test loco.

Jim Banner

The instructions Simkin has given you would be good for an experienced model railroader but I suspect they will be confusing to incomprehensible to a neophyte.  What he is suggesting is removing the present DCC decoder and replacing it with one that has sound built into it.  A decoder is a small, electronic module that can receive digital commands from a command station.  The commands tell the decoder what you want the locomotive to do - run faster, run slower, stop, turn lights on and off, and whatever other functions the decoder is designed to perform.  These other functions can include sounds.  This system is called Digital Command Control, or DCC.

The big deal about DCC systems is that you can control several locomotives at once, each independent of the others.  And you can do this even if all the locomotives are on the same track.  It works because each locomotive has its own, unique address which allows the command station to send commands to one locomotive at a time.  It is sort of like email - the message goes only to the recipient(s) that you choose.

Did your Explorer set include a Bachmann E-Z Command to control the DCC Consolidation?  If so, you have the controller to control a sound decoder but would have to have someone else program it (fine tune the sounds) for you as the E-Z Command does not do this. 

An alternate suggestion, particularly if you have the E-Z Command, would be to buy a second locomotive with sound already built in.  With DCC, you can then run each one independently or even run them together (double headed.)  Check some of the online dealers, for example thefavoritespot on eBay.  I think you will find that sound locomotives can be had for about half of the suggested retail price, in fact, for not a whole lot more than just the price of a sound decoder.  If you include the cost of having a sound decoder installed for you, the cost of a new locomotive with sound may well be less than the cost of a sound decoder plus installation in an existing locomotive.  Best of all, a new locomotive with built in sound comes with the decoder pre-programmed to match the locomotive and already to go.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bluecoatscheesypoofs

MRC makes sound decoders that may be installed in any locomotive. If you have trouble installing it, Take it into a hobby shop and they should be able to install it for you.
                             Matt Wilson

jackpete

I am in the same position.  Having taken the tender apart, i judge the task of locating a decoder/speaker, modifying the tender and hope that it all works is of moderate to extreme difficulity.   I took the approach of finding a reasonably priced supplier of that same Bachmann engine, equipped with sound, and purchased same.  The tender graphics are different, I will just exchange the shell to get exactly what I want.  Too bad Bachmann does not sell replacement parts.  This will allow me the luxery of expermenting and still have my Christmas toy!