News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 Problems

Started by mjolson5, December 27, 2010, 02:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjolson5

I'm brand new to the hobby and have a Spectrum explorer starter set.  I have a couple of issues with the 2-8-0 locomotive:
1) it lurches at slow speeds rather than moves smoothly
2) it buzzes loudly when I apply the throttle and doesn't actually start to move until I hit about 17/28 on the controller (NCS Power Cab).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

ACY

Did you try to adjust the CVs for start voltage and acceleration.

mjolson5

No, at this point I've only hooked up the Power Cab to test out the train.  Haven't made it past page 1 of the manual yet :)

richg

Quote from: mjolson5 on December 27, 2010, 02:37:19 PM
No, at this point I've only hooked up the Power Cab to test out the train.  Haven't made it past page 1 of the manual yet :)

I have the Power Cab and some Spectrum locos. If all else fails, follow the instructions.

It sounds like you have the loco that comes with the low end non-sound decoder. These decoders can cause buzzing at times with some locos.
Also, you "might" have a defective loco.

IF I have issue with DCC locos, I always reset to factory specs.

Reset the decoder to factory specs. That is covered in the Power Cab manual and the manual for the Bachmann EZ Command decoders. The manual is in the site here. Look around.

Below is a link to a sheet that might prove useful in the future. Download and print it out.

http://00200530.pdl.pscdn.net/002/00530/MRH04/DCC%20Shortcuts%20Card.pdf

Rich

mjolson5

Thanks!

Can you recommend a replacement for the Bachmann decoder?