News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

shay sound systems

Started by gypo r.r., December 27, 2010, 11:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypo r.r.

Hi.   This is my 1st bachmann, a # 81196 shay (new in box) that Santa brought me.  It looks as though it is prewired for a sound system.
My question is  "what systems are compatable with this unit and will they hook up to the pigtails that are under the tender? "  Also what is a reasonable amount of time that I can expect from the plastic frame trucks before I have to change to the newer ones?  

I only use track power and have no plans to change to anything  else.

Thanks

the Bach-man

Dear Gyppo,
You have an older Shay, although it is new to you. Make sure you lube it before operation; follow the instructions on the included video.
It will take a variety of sound systems, but installation depends upon the specific system. Follow their instructions.
As for trucks, if they're in good shape they should be fine.  Not all plastic trucks fail, buy some of the originals did.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

gypo r.r.

thank you for a prompt reply

gypo r.r.

Jon D. Miller

The Pardee & Curtin Lbr. Co. Item#81196 Shay is the second variation of the original Bachmann locomotive.  It was first introduced/cataloged in 1998.

It may have the improved trucks.  Turn the locomotive over and look at the motor block covers.  If they have eight screws showing then that would be the very first version power truck.  If it has six screws showing that would be the improved version.  The improved version will have silver colored washers behind the screws that attach the wheels.

If you have the six screw version with the silver colored metal washers chances are the motor blocks will give good service.

Follow the Bach Man's recommendation and lubricate the Shay as outlined in the supplied documentation.

No matter the motor block version, should they fail you can always change them for the metal cased versions. These are available from Bachmann as replacements.  Very easy to change out the motor blocks.

Use the sound system chuff trigger wires you will find under the bunker.  A Phoenix sound system would be an easy installation.  There are a number of other systems available.  I've had good service with all the version of Phoenix sound systems.

Enjoy your new Shay.  They are great runners with plenty of power.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

gypo r.r.

thanks for the info.  it is the 6 screw version.

Dave

J D, My Shay only has 4 screws per motor block. Do you know what version that is? I brought it from Trainworld about 18 months ago and I have fitted a " My Loco" sound card that I got from Australia. It is fairly basic but sounds great.
                  Cheers

Dave

Jon D. Miller

Dave,

Checked the Shays this morning.

Since your Shay has the 4 screw motor block cover then that would indicate the motor blocks are the latest metal case version.

The 36 ton Shays that I have came with either 8 or 6 screws attaching the bottom cover.  These have the plastic case motor block.

The 38 ton Shay I have has the metal motor block case and has four screws that attach the bottom cover.

"One of the Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)