News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forward and reverse

Started by Richard1, December 28, 2010, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1

I have a Bachmann Spectrum Pennsylvania K-4 with DCC. For DCC I use NCE. The problem is when I push the forward button it goes in reverse. How do I correct this?

ChrisS

Two ways. Swap the motor wires at the decoder connector
Or, easier. Use you dcc controller to tell the decoder opPosite directions.

richg

Quote from: Richard1 on December 28, 2010, 11:25:37 AM
I have a Bachmann Spectrum Pennsylvania K-4 with DCC. For DCC I use NCE. The problem is when I push the forward button it goes in reverse. How do I correct this?

I use the NCE Power Cab. The instructions are in something called the instruction manual.
Sounds like the decoder is in backwards or wired incorrectly.

Rich

ChrisS

The powercab makes it easy to correct a miswired motor connection.

OldTimer

The normal direction of travel is controlled by Configuration Variable (CV) 29.  If your system allows you to read the values stored in CV's, here's a simple way to program your decoder to change the normal direction of travel.

Read the contents of CV29.  If the number returned by the system is EVEN, add 1 and write that new value back into CV29.  If the number returned by the system is ODD, subtract 1 and write that new value back into CV29.  For example, if the system tells you that the CV is currently storing a value of 6, change it to 7.

If you can't read CV's, get out your system/decoder manual and look up CV29.  Decide what features it controls that you want, add up the bit values, WRITE DOWN the resulting number on paper, and then write it into CV29.  If your loco runs backwards, do the even/odd thing, based on the number you just stored (and wrote down so you couldn't forget).

I hope this helps.  This DCC stuff can be a little daunting when you're just getting started.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

rrmchone

You have a k4 locomotive?   i have one as well but i hear the flywheel moveing but the wheels of it wont turn in any direction it sounds like the flywheel is loose but i cant seem to know whats going on       do you know how to fix this?

Doneldon

rrm-

Don't hesitate to bring your questions here but PLEASE ask them only once! I count the same question asked three times in just 31 minutes. You'll find that this is not helpful to you nor will it get you a better answer or the answer you want. What it will do is waste everyone's time.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

p.s. four times

Doneldon

Richard the First-

Your loco isn't necessarily wired wrong; indeed, it is probably wired correctly.  The more likely issue is that the decoder is set to identify the "wrong" direction as forward.  You can easily reprogram this.
                                                                                                -- D

poliss

If the lights are correct for the direction the loco is moving then swapping the wires to the motor could make them come on in the wrong direction.
To alter the default direction of the locomotive using CV29 there's a simple calculator in this link. http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm
You will want to tick the 'reverse direction' and the '28/128 speed steps' boxes. You might also want to tick the 'Complex speed curve' and 'Long Loco Address' boxes depending on what your decoder and controller support.