News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overland Limited Issue

Started by colson, December 29, 2010, 10:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colson

Hello,

We just bought our son the H0 scale Overland Limited train set for Christmas. After setting it up, it only ran for about 15 minutes and then just stopped dead in its tracks. We were using various speeds (Not full speed) and it just quit working. Nothing changed on the track, no short circuits, etc. It just stopped abruptly as we were watching it. I unplugged it and then tried again a little later and it still wouldn't go. The light didn't even turn on.

The next day, the train was working again, but nothing was done to resolve the issue. The track remained untouched and so did the engine. It ran for about 5 minutes and the abruptly stopped again. We bought this set at Hobby Lobby, but I think they are phasing out their train section and I don't think they have another for us to exchange.

Does anyone have any idea of what's happening? I've tried calling Bachmann customer service and have left a couple messages, but it's the holidays and I don't expect to get a call back for a few more days anyway. In the meantime, I thought I would ask the forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kris Everett

do you have a volt meter?
the power might not be reaching the track.

let us know.

best of luck

Joe Satnik

Dear Colson,

More than likely the power pack's circuit breaker is opening.  Letting it sit for a while allows it to cool off and reset itself. 

Could be a bad breaker, (trips too easily/early), or

could be lack of lubrication, or something is binding or causing drag on your train, causing the motor to draw excess current and open the power pack's breaker.

I'd suggest you clean and lube with plastic compatible hobby lubes.  The lubrication instructions should be included with the set. ( DVD?)

Check that all your freight cars are free rolling. 

If that doesn't help, then you start looking at the power supply.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

poliss

I wouldn't try to fix it myself. I would take it back to where it was bought for repair or replacement.

bobwrgt

If you have a 12volt light bulb w/wire you can check and see if you are getting power to the track when the engine stops. If no power then something is tripping the power pack. If you still have power then something is wrong in the engine.
The motor may be the problem or you are loosing contact inside the engine when it heats up.
Try to return it if you can. This time of the year it may take several weeks for Bachmann service to help or replace it.

Bob

colson

Thank you all for the great replies and information. The train was working again last night so I had my son take off 4 of the freight cars, in case all 9 cars were causing too much drag, and it seemed to be fine. However, shouldn't the engine be able to handle the long line of cars it came with? I need to get a volt meter just in case it stops again to check the track. I have a feeling it's going to do it again and we'll end up taking it back. It's unfortunate that Hobby store seems to be phasing out the train section at our location so I don't think we'll be able to get the same one again. I will post again probably tomorrow after we enjoy the train a little more tonight. Thanks again for all the great replies!

-Chris

bobwrgt

The engine should be able to handel it. Are the car free rolling with little drag??
You may have to oil the axels or the engine if it has been on the shelf for a long time. Are you putting loads into the open cars increasing the weight??
If you get oil make sure it is plastic compatable. Others will eat the plastic.
The less drag you have the better it will run.
If you have a 12 volt lightbulb with wires you can check to see if the track is getting power when the engine stops.

Bob

mabloodhound

Definitely sounds like the circuit breaker in the power pack is the reason for power loss.   It just might need a different power pack with a good circuit breaker.   Maybe the hobby shop would swap the power pack?
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jim Banner

Kris,
Why would you recommend that someone use a DCC booster with a dc power pack?  Even if this worked, which it will not, it would be a very expensive solution to colson's problem.  For a fraction of the cost, he could buy a heavier dc power pack but even that would be a waste of money if he can spin the locomotive's wheels with his present one.  If you did not know that the Overland Limited set includes a dc locomotive and dc power pack/speed controller, all you had to do was click on 'Product Information' and search 'Overland Limited.'  If you had spent two minutes on research, you could have posted good advice instead of bad, misleading advice.

colson,
I am not sure if your problem is a locomotive that is drawing a bit too much power or a power pack that cannot put out as much power as it should.  Either one can cause the same symptoms.  However, as the locomotive breaks in, its power draw should reduce.  You might want to run with fewer than ten cars during the break in period.  After 20 or 25 hours running time, the locomotive should be pretty well broken in and ready for re-lubrication.  After re-lubrication, it should be able to pull all the cars.  If not, phone the Bachmann Service Department about having your locomotive AND THE POWER PACK/SPEED CONTROLLER checked/repaired/replaced.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Kris Everett

yes im sorry i thought that he mentioned something about DCC that was my bad ill remove it.