News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine runs slow in one direction only

Started by goldenbear, December 31, 2010, 01:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenbear

Hi everyone.  New train set, HO EZ track simple oval.  The engine runs fine in one direction (clockwise) but very slow (about 1/10) in the other direction when the switch is flipped on the controller.  If I reverse the direction of the train engine, it runs fine in the same direction (clockwise) but backwards, and very slow in the other direction.

If I reverse the plug from the controller to the track, it runs slow clockwise but fast counterclockwise.

So I'm guessing that the engine itself is fine, as it runs both backward and forward depending on the way it is placed on the track.  Does this sound like the controller is bad?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Joe Satnik

Dear GB,

I am very familiar with the internals of the newer 2 piece power pack (wall-wart transformer & speed-direction controller).

Quick answer, yes your controller is bad.

If it is within the return period, see if you can exchange it, or  

if it is within the warranty period, send it in.  

Mailing the controller in a padded envelope is quite cheap, as it is very light.

The symptoms you describe narrow the problem down to only a few different components within the controller, and it's quite fixable.

Why bother if you can exchange, though?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jcdagget

I have the same issue.  A friend of my wife's gave our son the Cargo King kit just yesterday...within a day the engine was going very, very slowly in one direction. :(  

In terms of the fix, will this be a recurring problem due to a poor design?

Doneldon

goldie-

Great, logical problem solving. That
ability will come in handy in model
railroading.
                           -- D

goldenbear

Problem solved: switched over to a new controller (a used Tech II 2500 that my brother gave to my boys) and all is well.  So I guess I'll wait to hear back from Bachmann about a replacement.

Thanks for the help!