old steam locomotive motors

Started by rrmchone, January 01, 2011, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrmchone

???                       when they come out with newer motors and u have old locomotives you can never really find the old motors they used to have   especially in newer condition i have been looking for the spectrum motor w/worm   and the flywheel is a whole lot different then the one they have now-a-days?    where are you supposed to get the older things?   

Jim Banner

If the newer Bachmann motors will not fit, check with North West Short  Line.  They sell upgrade motors for many locomotives.  In many cases, the upgrade is smaller than the original and can easily be glued in its place using silicone sealant.  With an upgrade motor installed, it is not unusual to find that the locomotive runs better than new.

If you are trying to restore a really old model with an open frame motor, and you want to keep it original, you might have to rebuild the existing motor.  This could be as little as truing up the commutator and replacing the brushes or might include rewinding the armature, rebuilding the commutator, and making up new bushing for the shaft as well as replacing the brushes.  Not easy, but it can be done.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

mac-

I wouldn't try to restore any motor in a loco I planned to run on my layout as newer motors will almost always give superior performance for less work on your part. The only justification I can think of for that rule is (equals my opinion) a rare collectable which you want to keep original to preserve its value. There are few of these around.

-- D                 

Jim Banner

I basically agree with Doneldon that a new motor is usually a better choice.  But if the locomotive is valuable to you because it is a rare collectable or because it was your Grandfather's, or for any other reason, and you want it restored to original, then the cost or effort probably means very little.  Last Christmas I did three old "sidewinder" locomotives for three different people, all of whom were handing their boyhood trains down a couple of generations.  All three together might have brought in $50 on eBay but the sentimental value of each was beyond price.  Restored, the locomotives ran at least as well as new, even though that was not great by modern standards.  But they brought a great deal of happiness to three old men and three young boys.  And to a fourth old man for being able to help them out.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

You can't underestimate sentimental value, especially if the piece/pieces to restore are from their childhood. 

Imagine the joy of seeing their childhood memories brought back to life !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rrmchone

well i am not necessarily remakeing the entire locomotive everything is in wonderful condition it is just that the motor turned out fried and i am in need of a new one. 8)