News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC 2-10-2 steam loco

Started by tigerthelion, January 04, 2011, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerthelion

Is there a quick fix to preventing my steam loco from slowing/ jumping the track on an 18 degree turn? It seems to be just one section of track... the loco slows on the curve, as if the wheels are being pinched... as soon as I give it a little push the front wheels jump the track. I also noticed a slight gap in the track... would this cause the turn to be less than 18 degrees, causing it to derail? Any suggestions? Thanks!

OldTimer

I checked the  Bachmann catalog and the recommended minimum radius for this  locomotive is 22 inches.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

tigerthelion

I found the problem!

The very last set of wheels were not attached properly, preventing free movement as the loco went around curves. I then ran the loco around all curves, without an issue. All curves so far are 18 degrees, and works just fine. Thanks for your help!

ACY

Quote from: tigerthelion on January 04, 2011, 10:46:37 AM
All curves so far are 18 degrees, and works just fine.
18 degrees or 18 inch radius, 18 degrees means you would need 20 sections of snap track to make a full circle, 18 inch radius means the track from center to the center of the circle will be 18 inches (radius) or track center to track center will be 36 inches (diameter). There is a difference, also 18" radius track is not 18 degrees, it takes 12 sections of 18" radius track to make a full circle, which means it is 30 degrees.

Pacific Northern

I have a number of these engines and they would all run on the 18" radius track. However, some members have reported having acquired 2-10-2 Spectrum engines that would only run on the larger 22" radius track.

The review by Model Railroader on this engine indicated it would run on 18" track, however as stated Bachmann  now states that 22" is the recommended radius track.
Pacific Northern

tigerthelion

THANKS TO ACY for picking out a mistake, correcting me, and making me feel like an idiot. No need for bold lettering, either. Guess you didn't see the part where I found and corrected the problem...?

Thank you to everyone except ACY for their help, and remember:

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" ;D

Pacific Northern

Quote from: tigerthelion on January 04, 2011, 05:37:01 PM
THANKS TO ACY for picking out a mistake, correcting me, and making me feel like an idiot. No need for bold lettering, either. Guess you didn't see the part where I found and corrected the problem...?

Thank you to everyone except ACY for their help, and remember:

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" ;D

ACY means well, just likes to demonstrate how knowledgeable he is.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

ACY,
It looks to me like you researched the question and provided tigerthelion with the right answers.  In my books, looking foolish in one thread and being corrected is much better than being seen as an idiot in every future thread because nobody bothered to correct you the first time.  Don't feel bad that someone did not appreciate your advice.  It happens to all of us from time to time.  I got the same treatment a couple of days ago.  It seems I got the fellow so upset that he removed the entire thread.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 04, 2011, 10:22:07 PM
It looks to me like you researched the question and provided tigerthelion with the right answers.  In my books, looking foolish in one thread and being corrected is much better than being seen as an idiot in every future thread because nobody bothered to correct you the first time.  Don't feel bad that someone did not appreciate your advice.  It happens to all of us from time to time.  I got the same treatment a couple of days ago.  It seems I got the fellow so upset that he removed the entire thread.
I guess people don't like bold letters. I just was pointing it out so in the future if somebody were to reference this by chance, there would not be any confusion between degrees and radius/diameter. I saw your situation. I think the trouble is that when you post on the internet; you cannot tell if someone is yelling, people just assume you are being unkind towards them. People on other forums never have a problem with me.