Spectrum HHP-8 Will Only Run In One Direction

Started by diburning, January 05, 2011, 11:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diburning

Hi, I'm new to these forums.  I have a Bachmann Spectrum HHP-8 (HO Scale) #655.  It will only run in one direction.  It runs backwards with no problems, but when I reverse the direction, the LEDs switch directions, glow briefly, then die, and the locomotive does not move.  It also emits a smell that smells like an electrical fire.

I am testing the loco on DC (rule of thumb is to test the loco on DC before installing DCC) and I'm using a Bachmann Model #6607 power pack.

I tested another locomotive (a Proto 2000 GP60) and it ran fine, so it's not the power pack.

I run DCC, but I generally test all locomotives on DC to make sure they run OK before I install a decoder.

lvrr325

Better send it in for a warranty replacement.  I had an On30 forney do the same thing - the decoder failed, in fact just about caught fire and if you take the shell off you will probably find one of the chips glowing white-hot when power is applied to the locomotive.  After I removed the decoder and replaced it with dummy plugs, the engine would still only operate in one direction - the failure also damaged the permanent circuit board inside the locomotive.  The HHP-8 may be designed differently or it may be the same components arranged differently -

uncbob

I had several bachmann DCC ob boards do this while operating DC
Evidently the decoders are very sensitive to the power supply voltage in DC mode

I have two ovals and 2 separate power supplies of the same exact type ( MRC sound power )

The engine runs fine on one track but only in one direction on the other
Switching power supplies causes the same results --the engine will only run in one direction

So it is definitely the power supply

Bachmann non sound DCC/DC decoders are evidently not the best on the market

I have no problems with Bachmann DCC/DC sound decoders ( probably  SoundtraxTsunami)

Bur their DCC/DCC non sound cause problems in the DC mode

Installing the small jumpers on the decoder module making them straight DC cures the symptoms

diburning

This engine runs on DC only.  I don't have a decoder in it yet.

I bought it online (brand new from a brick and mortar hobby shop with an online presence), and theres a warranty card that came with it, but I didn't fill it out.

If I send it back to Bachmann, will I have to pay the $25 for repair?  The engine is #655 which I think is from an older production.

Also, I lost a stirrup step while taking the shell off.  Do you think they'll replace that too if I send it back?

Thanks

Eric

mlrr

Quote from: diburning on January 06, 2011, 06:53:47 PM
This engine runs on DC only.  I don't have a decoder in it yet.

I bought it online (brand new from a brick and mortar hobby shop with an online presence), and theres a warranty card that came with it, but I didn't fill it out.

If I send it back to Bachmann, will I have to pay the $25 for repair?  The engine is #655 which I think is from an older production.

Also, I lost a stirrup step while taking the shell off.  Do you think they'll replace that too if I send it back?

Thanks

Eric

You may have to specifically request that when you send it in.  My suggestion would be to call customer service and request instructions and get the name of the person you spoke to so that when you send it in with a description of the problem and a request to replace one of the steps, you have a point of contact who at least knows your engine is "in the works".

If you get the right person, they should be more than helpful and likely won't charge you anything for the repair but you should definitely hammer home the point that the locomotive was brand new in box, still sealed, etc. (if that is in fact the case).
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

Ken S.

Mine is now doing the exact same thing and it's overloading the power pack. I have no idea what's wrong with it. I've had it for a number of years.