News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Set

Started by tulsadutch, January 06, 2011, 08:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tulsadutch

I'm looking at getting the Bachmann Train Set #00501 Digital Commander after a 40yr absence of trains.  I am looking at this set for two reasons (1) its DCC if I read it correctly and (2) its at a beginner price.  I am looking at buying enough extra track to replicate a John Allen "Timesaver" layout instead of an oval.

My question is "Am I getting the right set?".  Cost is a consideration and at my house space is at a premium.

Thanks for any help in advance

ACY

If cost is a consideration and you are not running more than 2 locos then DC with possibly Cab control might be a better option than DCC. But you'll ultimately have to judge what set best fits your needs and budget.

Doneldon

td-

The track in the set you are considering isn't very useful for a Timesaver layout because it essentially makes a loop with a siding while the Timesaver is designed to be a switching layout. You'll have a bunch of surplus track, curves, with little value even on ebay because everyone seems to have extra curved track laying around. Also, you'll be tempted to use all EZ Track for the remainder of your Timesaver and that will be significantly more costly than the alternatives. Unless you are sure you want to go to DCC, I suggest skipping the set and source your railroad differently. If you do want DCC, the "package price" with the DCC system and DCC-equipped locos is likely worth the investment, even if you scrap all of the track. You will not have to use EZ Track exclusively, but it will be tempting to do so both because of the uniform appearance and ease of use.

You can do much better than this train set if you aren't married to DCC. Specifically, look for an HO power pack on ebay or the used equipment shelf at your LHS. Buy your locomotive(s) from ebay, your LHS or on-line. Purchase your rolling stock (cars) from the same alternatives, depending on price and what you want. Look for track without roadbed and buy just the switches and either sectional track or flex track (I'd do flex track) to complete the layout. Be sure that all of your track components are the same size, i.e., all with the same height rail (Code83, Code 100, Code 70, etc.). If you go this route, stick with diesels or make sure that the steamers you buy have real couplers on both ends. Some HO steam switchers have a dummy coupler on the front, rendering them useless for the Timesaver. Recognize that wiring a DC layout, especially if you want block control so you can operate more than one loco at a time, is somewhat more complicated than wiring DCC and you will need some additional equipment like a second power pack and controls for the block selections.

One more opinion and then I'm done: Go DCC. It's what's happening in model railroading and it will be useful if you decide to expand in the future. The additional expense right now for the DCC system and DCC locos isn't very much but you'll appreciate them in the long run. I believe this is a time when you should plan to buy the most capability you can afford rather than go with the cheapest option. I rarely say that but I do believe it applies to someone getting into, or back into, model railroading.

Welcome back and be sure to visit this Board often.
                                                                                                                                   -- D

tulsadutch

Thanks for the advice, I believe that I want to go DCC mainly because I can buy the digital commander set for about 100.00 bucks locally and being DCC is the "thing to have now days" sounds like the way to go.

Another question along this line, is the 0501 train set a decent one? or should I be looking a something else?  I like the two diesels and DCC for the price but I'm not locked into that set if its not a good one.

jward

i am familiar with the timesaver having built one myself. what you'll need  are a small switching locomotive (0-6-0 tank engine if steam, bachmann 45 ton or atlas s2/s4 if diesel, and 5 or 6 40 foot freight cars. you may be able to use modified ez track switches, #5 and wye. stay away from the 18" radius switches for this layout at any cost. your trains won't work well with them during the switching manoevers necessary to run the timesaver. atlas switches would fit better than ez track switches because they have minimal amounts of extra trackage. an atlas 4 is similar to an ez track 5, but several inches shorter, a very important consideration with the timesaver. peco switches are even more comapct then the atlas ones, but somewhat expensive. i used none of the above, but built all my own track for this layout. whichever type you use, you'll need to make sure you power the frogs on your switches. small locomotives like the ones you'll be using don't like dead frogs.
if you want to use dcc, you'll want to set the speed control variables on your locomotive for as low a speed as possible, and adjust the acceletation rate so that your locomotives creep around the layout.......

as for the digital commander, all the locomotives  offered in those sets would be too long for the layout as designed. you could lengthen the tracks to accomodate them, but in doing so you will affect the difficulty of the puzzle that is the point otf the layout. the tail tracks are purposely too short because that adds to the difficulty of working the puzzle. overall, the layout as originally designed is about 56" long.....

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

tulsadutch,
The game is the same for a Timesaver designed for slightly longer diesel locomotives as for one limited to short diesels and 0-4-0 switchers.  But running the longer diesels is more trouble free, especially if less expensive insulated frog turnouts are used.  If you are running the Timesave against the clock, as John Allen intended, having your locomotives start first time every time becomes increasingly important.

When it comes to comparing values of various locomotives, diesels will always win over steam locomotives because of their relatively simpler design.  In my books, two diesels and a simple command control set is a lot of bang for the buck, even if you put the track away for a future expansion.

While the Timesaver is a great layout by my model railroading hero, John Allen, it is not the only switching puzzle.  You might want to consider starting out with an Inglenook, a puzzle which appears deceptively simple but which can become devilishly complicated.  In its usual form, it requires only 2 turnouts.  And it lends itself to being built inside the usual trainset oval, or a slightly expanded one.  With an Inglenook connected to the oval via with a third turnout, you also have the possibility of switching the Inglenook while a second train runs around the oval.  When you finish switching, you can swap trains.  That, for me, is the best of solo railroading.  It is also possible to build two Inglenooks into opposite sides of the same oval so that when you feel competitive, you and a friend can both operate trains and see who can figure out the switching moves the fastest.   You can read more about the Inglenook at this link:
http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.