Poblems with Bachman 2-10-2 Locomotive on DCC

Started by krinor62, January 09, 2011, 01:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krinor62

Hi,

I recently bought a Bachmann 2-10-2 steam locomotive with Sound and DCC, article number 83801. After some intital problems with derailing on 18 inch curves the locomotive runs fine with one remaining problem:

Every second or third round on my layout the lcocomotive loses power and stops. It can be reactivated by pressing the stop botton twice on my EZ commond console. I checked power to all segments of the track, power is there. If I switch my layout to DC mode the locomotive runs fine without any loss of power. The problem only occurs in DCC mode mostly in 18 inch curves but also on straights and when it is just sitting on a stright piece of track.

I use Atlas code 100 nickel track.

Any recommendations on how to fix the problem?

Best regards

krinor62

bobwrgt

Check to see if the plug between engine and tender is in all the way. While the engine is sitting still with the power and sound on lift the tender slightly off the rail. Then try the same thing with the engine. If you loose power then one of them is not making good contact with the rail. Let us know if its the engine or the tender and we can probably help or have other suggestions.

Bob

krinor62

Hello Bob,

I tried yopur recommendations. As far as I can judge both cables are firmly set in their sockets. I lifted the tender or the lococomotive from the track but could not reproduce the loss of power effect. I also had a look at the power pick ups under the tender. They all seems to have a good connection to the wheels.

Best regards

Kribnor62

bobwrgt

If you are still having the problem in DCC only you can try to reset the decoder to factory settings. If that does not work you will probably have to call Bachmann Service you might have a bad decoder. See if they will send you a new one.

Bob

krinor62

Thanks Bob,

I did some more experiments. It seems the loss of power is time related. The locomotive loses power every 90 to 120 sec whether it is moving or just sitting on the track.

Best regards

Krinor62