News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

no Engine lights with DCC

Started by pgkdave, January 09, 2011, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgkdave

I am new to DCC.  I have a HO 4-8-4 Niagara that I am running using the Digitrax Zephyr XTRA Control System.  I changed the loco address to the 4 digit address of the CAB 6020.  The engine runs but only the Tender light lights up when I change the direction to reverse.  The boiler light does not light up when I change the throttle to forward.  Any Idea what I have to do to correct this problem?

NMWTRR

I am not familiar with your controller but you may have to activate the light. Not sure which funtion it would be on the Digitrax Zepher. Maybe other can help.

ThomasFan247

On my Spectrum Consolidation the light on the engine only works when the controller (I, too, have a Digitrax Zephyr) is set to forward. I think the models are just made like that, unless you can change the function to make the front light work when set to reverse and vise-versa. This is something I'd like to know about too  :)

Billm10454

When running the engine forward try pressing 0.

Jim Banner

Decoders have two, separate function outputs for headlight and tender light.  By default, f0f (function #0 front) turns the headlight on and off and f0r (function #0 rear) turns the tender or diesel rear light on and off.  Function 0 must be active (selected by its push button) AND the locomotive must be set to run forward for the headlight to turn on.  If function 0 is not active OR the locomotive is set to run in reverse, the headlight will not be on.  Same sort of thing in reverse.

In many but not all decoders the f0f and f0r outputs can be remapped to other function numbers and/or set to be simple on/off switches independent of direction and/or be logically ANDed or logically ORed with other functions.  If you want the headlight on all the time with no decoder control, you can connect one side of the headlight to the decoder blue wire (as it is now) and connect the other side of the headlight to a pair of diodes connected to the wheels (after unhooking the white wire from the lights, of course.)  On some decoders, the f0f function output that was disconnected from the headlight (the white wire) can be used for other things when function f0f is reprogrammed to things like firebox flicker, rotating beacon, Mars light etc.

pgkdave,
Now we finally get around to your original question about fixing your headlight problem.  Your best bet is to reset the decoder to its factory default settings.  That would reset it back to operating on address 03 and the headlight and tender light would work in forward and reverse when f0 was turned on.  Many decoders require you to program an 8 into CV8 to reset but check the paper work that came with your locomotive to make sure this applies to your decoder.  If the headlight still fails to work, you are most likely looking at a faulty headlight or a faulty decoder or possibly a fault in the wiring in between them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RGC

Your problem maybe be the speed control setup. You have to make sure the decoder is set for 128step speed control or if it isn't a 128step decoder you have to change the setup for that Engine in your zephyr to match the whatever the decoder is. That problem should be listed in your manual. I know it is in the zephyr DCS50, but I don't know for sure about the zephyr Xtra.