News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC conversion of an old MDC Box Cab loco

Started by NMWTRR, January 09, 2011, 05:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMWTRR

Finally got around to getting a kit for an old MDC Box Cab running.

The kit had two major problems. The drive shafts in the trucks were too long and the plastic universal would just slip on the shaft.

After many years of this kit sitting on my shelf, I finally decided this is the time to get it running so I cut the shafts shorter. I drilled a hole into the end of the shaft and through the universal and inserted a pin. Put super glue on it to hold it all togethor. I did have to file the pin smooth but it worked!

Bottom line never give up on that project after awhile you might figure out a way to get it working.

Here are some pictures for those interested.

http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/nmwtrr/Box%20Cab%20DCC%20conversion/

jonathan

NMWTRR,

I looked at the photo's of your work.  That is a neat box cab.  I see why you wanted to get it running.

Great work.  It's just me, but my concern would be that tube connector on the motor to drive shaft.  They are so far off line it's a wonder the tubing stays connected.  Then, I'm no engineer.  It probably works just fine.

As always, I learned something new.  Thanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

Quote from: NMWTRR on January 09, 2011, 05:37:37 PM

Bottom line never give up on that project after awhile you might figure out a way to get it working.

This is so true.  One of the advantages of getting older is that means you have had more time to learn how to do more things.  Think of how many things we now do routinely that just a few years ago, we had no idea they were even possible.

Like jonathan, I was concerned about the angled drive tubing when I went to admire your photos.  If there is still room with the decoder on board, you might try to raise the end of the motor with shims, wedges, or what have you to get the shafts more in alignment.  Even if you cannot achieve perfect alignment, it looks like you might be able to get the axes of the two shafts to intersect half way between the ends of the shafts.  You will probably find it runs even smoother.

It is a handsome looking unit and different enough from the usual diesels and steamers that it should get a great deal of attention on your layout.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Geared Steam

Actually I have had several of those, the tube hooks to a flywheel, and that is all The reality is the flywheel on these never really worked well to begin with, so even if it slips, your not going to really notice much difference. These need a lot of work to get them running really well, okay if you have some time to spend, but what I did instead was to use a Spectrum 44 ton loco chassis in place of the old MDC chassis, they run like a dream, and very easy to add DCC. A man named Ron LeFever was updating the MDC chassis with a can motor, decoder and he worked the trucks so they ran quite smooth. Unfortunately his health has worsened over the years and he doesn't do these anymore, you may want to Google "LaFever Climax" for some examples.

NMWTRR

Jim and Jonathon,

Thanks for the inputs.

The offset did cause some problems at first and rough operation. I used two screws to hold down the end of the flywheel support and that helped.

I have an older version of this unit and it had a different motor that was higher. The center gear train was different so it all lined up. Not sure why they changed it to this version.

Geared steam,
I had heard about using the 44 tonner and considered it but something made me want to try and get this running. Maybe seeing Jonathon's projects inspired me  :)

I also remember LeFever's chassis they were a little expensive but I suspect they worked very well.

This unit is geared so low that I suspect the flywheel does not do too much, I might take it out and see if there is a difference.

Take care all and stay warm

richg

I am using an old Digitrax decoder to power my MDC track cleaner box cab. The open frame motor operates just fine.
I installed a 1.5 volt bulb and lens in each light fixture.
The loco  growls but it is cheap sound.
I used Walther's Goo to attach he decoder to the inside of the cab roof.
Had to turn down the outside diameter of the flywheel for room above the decoder.
Stuck an engineer inside. I do not like running locomotive with no crew.
I installed glass inside the cab over each window opening.
We use it at our club once in a while while it pulls a John Allen track cleaner car.

Rich

richg

I have the LaFever Climax with Micro Tsunami sound. Great little loco. Quite rapid chuff's at 10 mph which was typical for geared down locos. I run it at our club with a string of old log cars.

Rich

Geared Steam

Quote from: NMWTRR on January 09, 2011, 11:52:32 PM

Geared steam,
I had heard about using the 44 tonner and considered it but something made me want to try and get this running. Maybe seeing Jonathon's projects inspired me  :)

I also remember LeFever's chassis they were a little expensive but I suspect they worked very well.

This unit is geared so low that I suspect the flywheel does not do too much, I might take it out and see if there is a difference.

Take care all and stay warm

I didn't make myself clear, sorry, Ron sells motors with flywheels at his website, also there are pictures and a manual of how he does it, for inspiration and some ideas.  :)

http://www.lafeverclimax.com/