News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New GE 70 Ton Diesel

Started by Rutland1952, January 11, 2011, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rutland1952

I received my new GE 70 Ton diesel just before Christmas and immediately sent it off to the painter to be decorated as Rutland #500. I ran it for about 5 minutes before repacking it. It arrived today, looking great in Rutland green and yellow, and not only is it a smooth runner on DC, but it handles a prototypical load in the Rutland yard with ease. I had asked for it from time to time on this forum and I'm really pleased that Bachmann produced a fine model. Thanks a lot. It is a truly great job.

As a Rutland modeler, I'm all set with diesels and every steam locomotive except a modern 4-6-0. I'm envious of the positive feedback you've gotten about this new product, but the models are just too dissimilar from the Rutland/NYC more modern versions with the headlight mounted in the center of the front of the boiler. So, consider this a request for a variation from a grateful customer.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"

David Leonard

Which version of the 70T did you start with? I was thinking of doing the same thing (mostly because I was born in Rutland), and to me it looks as though the red one is closest, with the appropriate end louvers and headlight arrangement. It certainly helps that the hand rails are molded in yellow.

Rutland1952

Dave,

I started with the green one, not realizing that there were different versions. The "as delivered" version in November, 1952, did not have yellow handrails (Rutland in Color, page 46), but the front and rear rails were eventually painted yellow. I can move 8-10 cars with no trouble.
Richard

The Rutland Railroad
"Route of the Whippet"

David Leonard

Looking at that photo, I see that the handrails are green, except beside the steps where they appear to be painted aluminum (like the horn). That would be the look I want. We shall see: there's a lot of stuff I have reserved that I will need to pay for first!