News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rerailers (really)

Started by Keusink, January 17, 2012, 05:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

Does anyone know of an HO rerailer that (1) does not look like a road crossing (2) is or can be located inside the track, and (3) can be located on a curve? I'd like to insert such an item within some curves and not have them be too obvious.

Kind of like guard rail, but something that actually rereails cars that step off the tracks before it is too late?

Chris

Doneldon

K-

I'm not aware of any manufactured track which meets your description. However, you can easily build it.

Get yourself a length of waste track of the same size or the next size smaller than what you are using for your trains (e.g., Code 70 rerailer rails with Code 83 track), remove the rails, bend them to the correct curvature to fit inside the rails where you want the rerailers, glue them into position using an NMRA gauge to make sure your flangeways are the correct width and them paint them on all sides the color of your ties. They will all but disappear. You can do the bending freehand, checking your work as you go. You can add some spikes if you want to make sure than your rerailers remain in place.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

VTBob

Walthers has code 83 bridge track, but I'm not sure if it comes in flex.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/948-886

these have a picture of the "V" ends that donaldson is talking about.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/948-899

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

rogertra

Or take the time to build your track so that nothing derails?

Woody Elmore

I've always used the five finger rerailer. I have two and they cost nothing.

lirrman

I may be wrong but I seem to remember Atlas code 100 snap track having a curved re-railer.  It might have been a terminal track with electrical connections but it was built the same way as a re-railer.  There is really no way to make these tracks "not obvious" but I have used re-railers inside a tunnel as an extra precaution.

Keusink

Thanks, all, for your replies. I have done a combination of all your suggestions, but stuff still happens occasionally. Chris