How to Disassemble Medium Vanderbilt Tender?

Started by GARYBEAR, January 13, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GARYBEAR

I am desiring to 'borrow' the trucks from a B'mann tender, 89003, as they have electrical wipers I could use urgently elsewhere.  I have viewed the accompanying documentation (with the tender) and searched internet forums--including this one--without finding needed answers regarding disassembly.

I partially back out the screw to the rear truck, but when released, the screw head moves to the opposite direction.  I am fearful that there is an unillustrated electrical connection affixed to this screw.  The screw to the front truck remains snug, but again, I fear that I am twisting an unillustrated electrical connection.

Desiring to see what lies in the tender, I again find the accompanying documentation and internet searches to be of little value aside from affirming that access s/b possible for decoder install.  I have removed two phillip head screws from the bottom of the tender and pull upwards on the shell without indication of possible separation.

I am desiring instructions as to how to remove the shell from the chassis in order to address both the issue of truck removal, and later decoder install.  [Note: the trucks w/b returned, or replaced, before decoder install.]  

Thanks, Gary

bobwrgt

Take a look at the service parts sheet for the 4+8+2 Heavy Mountain. The Southern came with that tender. The front of the tender comes off. there is a tab underneath in front. Two screws hidden under truck toward center.

Bob

Pacific Northern

Quote from: bobwrgt on January 13, 2011, 07:06:10 PM
Take a look at the service parts sheet for the 4+8+2 Heavy Mountain. The Southern came with that tender. The front of the tender comes off. there is a tab underneath in front. Two screws hidden under truck toward center.

Bob

The Southern comes with the Hicken tender not the Medium Vandy
Pacific Northern

GARYBEAR

Readers!  My question remains unanswered!

Bob corrects himself in identifying the oil tender accompanying the mountain locomotive as the Hicken style tender which I also own and managed to open for decoder installation.  

The Medium Vanderbilt Oil Tender is a horse of another color...at least as disassembly goes.  I am unable to identify which, if any, locomotives the Medium Vanderbilt Oil Tender was sold with.  I acquired mine as a product unto itself, item #89903.

Thanks, Gary

Pacific Northern

Garybear

I just took apart a medium vanderbilt tender. As you mentioned there are two screws holding the tender body on. After removing the two screws gently lift up the rear tank portion of the tender.

Thats it.
Pacific Northern

GARYBEAR

Bob, did you do further disassembly as I am unable to force any movement of the upper tank by exerting upward pressure near the rear (after having removed 2 screws from beneath the tender)?  I have left the coupler and coupler pocket in place at the rear of the lower chassis.  From the parts diagram, I do not see why this has to be removed.  Did you remove the coupler?  Thanks.

Pacific Northern

The couplers do not need to be removed.

The rear of the tender houses the PCB. After removing the two screws under the tender lift up the rear tank section. It sort of swivels up and exposes the PCB.
Pacific Northern

GARYBEAR

The first Medium VB Tender remains impenetrable!  I had a second unopened #89903 tender stored away.  Upon removal of the tender from the box, I removed the two screws at the center bottom and front bottom of the tender. and yet there is no give when I exert upward pressure at the rear of the tank.  I am at a total loss!  While a hammers and pry bars are tempting, they would defeat my purpose.  HELP, SOMEONE, PLEASE!

rogertra

Is this the tender? :-

When I kitbashed mine I must admit I didn't take the body from the chassis but removed both the front and the rear of the of the tender, which do come out and that gave me access to the insides.  I could then remove the circuit board and weight and do this: -

End result is a shorter tender that is now coal and not oil: -

GARYBEAR

Sorry, Roger, you've got the wrong tender.  You have the Hicken style tender.  I marvel at the modification you did.  I have opened the Hicken style tender w/o problem but am unable to open the smaller 2 axle truck Medium Vanderbilt tenders.  I seem to be unable to attached its 11KB image as the upload folder is presently full.  -Gary

Pacific Northern

I opened another of my medium Vandy tenders. 

Removed the two screws in the recessed holes under the tender located in the front and center of the tender.

No need to remove either of the couplers.

Lift up the rear portion of the tank. This exposes the Bachmann circuit boared.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: GARYBEAR on January 17, 2011, 05:46:58 PM
Sorry, Roger, you've got the wrong tender.  You have the Hicken style tender.  I marvel at the modification you did.  I have opened the Hicken style tender w/o problem but am unable to open the smaller 2 axle truck Medium Vanderbilt tenders.  I seem to be unable to attached its 11KB image as the upload folder is presently full.  -Gary

Gary.

Upload your photos to something like "Photobucket" and then post the "image code", which Photobucket automatically loads into your browser's cut and paste function.  Then all you need to do is place your cursor in your post where you want the image to appear,  right click and select "Paste".  Nothing could be easier.  No coding to worry about, Photobucket takes care of all that for you.

GARYBEAR

Here is an image of the Bachmann 89903 HO Medium Vanderbilt Tender which I am unable to open:

rogertra

Gary.

Do the ends come off like they do on the Hicken tender?

They're just a force fit on the Hicken

GARYBEAR

As you can see from the parts explosion of the 89903, access cannot be obtained from either end.  Hasn't someone made access to the circuit board?