E-Z track remote turnout GREEN 3 Wire connector

Started by MR536, January 11, 2011, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR536

Need some information on these turnouts.

I am using 4 E-Z Track remotes to run a double oval but the only problem is the distance from the actual switch to my board.  Are there plug-in extensions for these?  I am looking for at least a 10 foot, 3 wire green extension.

Thanks
Marvin

Doneldon

Marvin-

Yes, Bachmann makes these, but they are very expensive for what you get, IMHO. You can roll your own by cutting your existing wires somewhere in the middle and then splicing in three stranded wire extensions of whatever length you need. Just make sure you get the polarity correct, essentially that the middle wire is connected straight through. I doesn't matter if you "cross" the outside wires because the terminal plugs can be inverted without causing any kind of a problem. It's not like the Bachmann extensions are unaffordable; to me it's more that I feel gouged by the high price. Plus, I like being able to do some of the basic jobs myself.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Scott823

Quote from: Doneldon on January 12, 2011, 12:45:53 AM
Marvin-

Yes, Bachmann makes these, but they are very expensive for what you get, IMHO. You can roll your own by cutting your existing wires somewhere in the middle and then splicing in three stranded wire extensions of whatever length you need. Just make sure you get the polarity correct, essentially that the middle wire is connected straight through. I doesn't matter if you "cross" the outside wires because the terminal plugs can be inverted without causing any kind of a problem. It's not like the Bachmann extensions are unaffordable; to me it's more that I feel gouged by the high price. Plus, I like being able to do some of the basic jobs myself.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Yea, I wish I had made the extensions myself! Bought 3 of the ready made ones @ $10/each

RGC

I have 8 of the bachmann extension wires that came with turnouts. I have cut the connectors off everyone of them and soldered the wires together since 7 of them didn't work right out of the package. Just make your own and save yourself the headache of fixing them later.

DADnBOB

First round, I bought one.  :o

For all the next ones, I've just been splicing in the necessary amount of similar guage wire.  ;)
But if you're not confident in your wiring or don't have the tools the extensions are the way to go.
Get a multisize wire stripper - the green wire is pretty thin.
Solder would be the preferred method.