News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Daylight 4-8-4 GS4 Steam Loco DCC

Started by trains123, January 24, 2011, 07:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains123

can anyone tell me why a low run time fairly new train does the following; Motor runs but train does not move?. It seems like when it reverse it catches and moves but not for long.

jonathan

I don't have a 4-8-4, but if this loco has the same drive system as all the other Spectrum's here's one possibility:

The belt has gone bad or is defective.  I had a Spectrum 2-8-0 that started to make a strange noise.  When I opened it up, the drive belt was split and needed to be replaced.  This loco wasn't brand new, but it was new when I got it and hardly run it.  If I had continued to run it, I'm sure I would have ended up with your symptoms, as the belt would have eventually let go of the gears.

The belt was a $3 part, so no big deal.  However, I seem to have no fear when it comes to disassembly and reassembly.  Someday that's going to catch up with me.

That's just one possibility.  I'm sure others may have a better idea:  like contacting the service department, since your loco is fairly new (still under warranty?)

Regards,

Jonathan

hawaiiho

I think Jonathan is on the right track.
Call Bachmann  Service and explain the problem you are having.
I have found them to be very nice and always helpful.
One suggestion. Use their direct number, rather than the 800 number.
1-215-533-1600  ext 336-----If it hasn't changed.
I have had much better results getting a quick answer that way.

Will

bobwrgt

Contact the Bachmann service Dept to send in for repair. You could have a cracked gear in the drive train or the flywheel gear is spinning on the motor shaft.

Bob

WTierce1

Bachmann's GS-4's don't have a belt on them. I know because I have 2.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad