hardwire a decoder in a bachmann HO GE U36

Started by wps, February 06, 2011, 10:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wps

Can anyone tell me how to hardwire this decoder in this engine?

richg

Standard NMRA DCC wiring. Right rail pickups, red wire. Left rail pickups, black wire.
Orange and gray wires to motor. Blue to one side of front light and rear light.
White to the other front light connection. Yellow to other rear light connection.
Use a 1000 ohm resistor if LED's. If the LED does not light, reverse the two wires.

Lots of DCC info in the below link. Click on the link and store it in Favorites. Spend some time looking around at all the info. You seem to need this DCC info.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/locos.htm

Anyone reading this message, store the link and read it after.

Rich

ACY

If I recall correctly, this loco hasn't been made since the mid 1980's, and as such the loco is not the best runner, unless you did a major overhaul on it to improve it, it is probably not worth it to install a decoder, but ultimately it is your call.

richd286

ACY is right...   any candidate for conversion should perform well in DC... Easy low voltage start and smooth running.  Even then old motors may not be compatible.  There are web sites with conversion stories worth reading.

jward

if the u36b is the pancake motor version you might want to see if the shell will fit on a b23-7 chassis. this will give you a much better running locomotive, one worthy of dcc.....

i could not find any links to installing a decoder in the b23-7. i will post photos when i convert mine.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA