Newbie looking for deal on good steam loco

Started by Geno, January 17, 2011, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geno

Hello all,  I just got stated in HO a couple of weeks ago.  I have a couple of old American Flyer locos and would like to get something modern in a steam engine, minimum size 4-6-2 or larger.  I'm not into  DCC but sound would be nice.  Looking for a nice running, probably  metal bodied engine for 18" and 22" curves. Looking at the first two replies below, it looks like metal can't be a requirement.  What do you all like and who has the best prices right now. Alternatively, any good used stuff around?  I'm out in the middle of nowhere.  Thanks for your help!

richg

Well if you want all metal, all I can think of is brass. Bachmann does not have any and there are other manufactures of all metal but I cannot mention them in the Bachmann forums. Do a Google search. You will find a variety of locos with prices.

Rich

ACY

If you want metal, all there is any more is brass, and brass and good deals do not usually go together. The Bachmann Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 is a heavy and good pulling locomotive; it is moderately priced and is pretty solid, but mine prefer 24" radius and sometimes have issues with 18-22" radius. Also brass and other all metal locos tend to be more rigid and require curves greater than 22", many require 28" radius or greater.

Pacific Northern

Bachmann produces the steam Spectrum's with a metal boiler for its Shay, 4-6-0 (10 wheeler) and its Heavy Mountain locomotives. I have these engines with Sound and these engines are well worth checking out.

My Heavy Mountain would run on 18" radius curves as would the Shay and 4-6-0 steavers as well. The backbone locomotive on my roster are the 4-6-0's

As mentioned some of the Heavy Mountain engines do not like the 18" radius curves so it would be best to test the engine first if possible.
Pacific Northern