News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 DCC conversions.

Started by Colli, January 16, 2011, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colli

Hi there friends, I need HELP.   
I am on the Internet on a Dial Up System ( Because that is all I can get out in the back woods of Canada ) and I have spent hours trying to find a site that gives a good description and maybe some pics of how to convert Bachmann 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 Mogul to DCC. I have done the 0-6-0 Tank Loco and the 4-8-2 Hvy. Mountain but I am a bit leery of trying these two without some insight from someone who has tackled the job before.  I understand that Bachmann now has the 2-6-0 as a DCC equipped loco so why not the 0-6-0???

Thanks for any info. guys ( and gals ) the Dial-up system is so s l o w  its almost painful

Regards, Colli.   Elma and Contour R.R.

jonathan

Colli,

I haven't seen one in person, yet, but according to the catalog the 0-6-0 is indeed available in DCC.  Don't know if that helps.  Hopefully, someone else has seen instructions on add DCC to the ones not so equipped.

Regards,

Jonathan

rockymidlandrr

It can be done, it just takes a little time and patience. It's not too terribly hard, but you have to make sure you isolate your motor from the frame. Also, electrical pickup on the tender will greatly improve the performance of the 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and 2-6-2. Working the split the frame to isolate the motor with the valve gear in place will be a challenge, but when it's all done it's a pretty smooth mechanism.

Colli

Thanks Rocky Midland, you mention about splitting the frame with the valve gear in place.....  Have you done this conversion yourself or do you know of a site that details exactly how it is done ???

Thanks,Colli.

rockymidlandrr

Yes I have done the conversion before. It was a few years ago though and some of the details escape me, but it's pretty simple once it's all taken apart.  Remember to add electrical pickups to the tender.  I did it to where one truck picks up from one and the the other truck the opposite. Never had a problem with that arrangement.

I do have a bachmann 2-6-0 torn down and it awaiting a decoder installation, repainting and lettering, so as time allows I can complete that project and pass along pointers.

Doneldon

Colli-

Be sure to notice that the Bachmann 0-6-0 (and its companions, the
2-6-0 and 2-6-2) do not have a functional front coupler. This limits
their versatility.
                                                        -- D

rockymidlandrr

Doneldon thanks for adding that point. There is no front coupler, but that doesn't mean that one can't be added. If I can figure out how to upload pictures on here I will be happy to show how. But as for now, it's biology...

Doneldon

Rocky-

You're welcome, and I know one can be added as I've done it
myself. But I'm not certain that it's a project for someone new
to the hobby.
                                     -- D