News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Doodlebug

Started by docmanago, June 17, 2007, 12:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docmanago

Please, how can I separate the chassis from the body in a Doodlebug, to reach the motor because it become noisy? Thanks.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Very easily...I got one apart right now and it was not that hard. Just remove the roof and you can access the motor to lubercate it. it just pops off i believe. The one i got apart is one i'm painting into a B&O MOW peice(all red with white markings)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

lanny

docmanago

I did not find it easy to separate the body of the Spectrum doodlebug from its chassis. But it can be done if you work patiently and carefully.

1) remove the couplers and any screws in the chassis that are holding the chassis to the body.

2) using an eXacto knife or some very thin edge metal tool, pry the shell away from the body in one small place.

3) insert a wooden (flat style) toothpick in that opening.

4) repeat as many times as necessary all around the body keeping a sharp eye out for plastic tabs that also need to be loosened to release the body.

5) eventually, the body should easily and freely come away from the chassis, allowing you better access to the motor.

hope this helps.

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Doneldon

But how do you get all of those toothpicks to stay in place so you can use them to ease the shell back on the chassis?  Mine just fall away.

lanny

Hi,

My Spectrum Doodlebug shell went 'back on the chassis' much easier than it came off. I don't remember having to use the toothpicks at all to get it back on. Just carefully press fit until the existing plastic tabs snap into place.

This is my 'suggestion' only. Others on the forum will have, perhaps, a better way to get it back together.

If you have the shell off the chassis, the biggest part of your 'removal' problem is over.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Jonathan MacCormack

docmanago,

Work upside down.

Jonathan