Adding decoder to DCC-ready Bachmann engine

Started by Citroen, January 21, 2011, 05:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen

Which decoder wires go to which numbered slots on the dcc board in the engines?

richg

Folllow the NMRA DCC wiring code.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nmra+dcc+wiring&hl=en

Store the links you like in Favorites. You will need them.

Rich

Citroen

Thanks, Rich, that lays it out perfectly!
Adrian

Pacific Northern

Remember that most DCC decoders other than Lenz will often run erratically.

This is due to presence of the capacitors on the Bachmann board. These can easily be cut or removed.

Check this site by searching for "capacitors"
Pacific Northern

farrellrc

My GP38-2 with DCC on board starts by itself and runs at full speed. I disabled the analog operation in the CV29 but it still does it. Could this be caused by the capacitors?
Bob

richg

Quote from: farrellrc on January 23, 2011, 11:44:57 AM
My GP38-2 with DCC on board starts by itself and runs at full speed. I disabled the analog operation in the CV29 but it still does it. Could this be caused by the capacitors?
Bob

Reset the decoder to factory specs. The EZ Command decoder document gives the instructions. To my knowledge, the capacitors would not cause the loco to take off at full speed.

Rich

Pacific Northern

Quote from: richg on January 23, 2011, 12:09:26 PM
Quote from: farrellrc on January 23, 2011, 11:44:57 AM
Bob

Reset the decoder to factory specs. The EZ Command decoder document gives the instructions. To my knowledge, the capacitors would not cause the loco to take off at full speed.

Rich

Not so, when I added a Digitrax decoder to a 2-6-6-2 it immediately started to move  as soon as it was placed on the tracks. Did not touch throttle. Cut capacitors and the engine then reacted as it should have to the DCC commands.
Pacific Northern

hawaiiho

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 22, 2011, 12:09:12 AM
Remember that most DCC decoders other than Lenz will often run erratically.

This is due to presence of the capacitors on the Bachmann board. These can easily be cut or removed.

Check this site by searching for "capacitors"

I guess I have been lucky. I have 9 Bachmann DCC ready locomotives that I have installed decoders in and have yet to have any of them "run erratically".
I have not had to cut the capacitors from any of them.