Programming Bachmann Digital Commander with Bachmann DCC Turnouts

Started by john.001, January 22, 2011, 09:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

How do you program/use the E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System (No. 44902) with Bachmann DCC turnouts?

john.001

Thank you Hunt. 

Before purchasing the turnouts I was looking for some idea how to use the controller with them.  I had thought of using Atlas or some other unit, but as far as I can tell, all non-Bachmann turnouts require wiring, extra units, etc.  whereas Bachmann is all-in-one.  Thanks for the heads up.

lancer144

Hi there, can I just confirm that using my E-Z Command 10 button controller (#44902), I can control up to 8 Bachmann DCC turnouts just using button 9 and the functions button 1 through 8? I haven't bought a turnout yet so I don't have the instructions. I just want to make sure that I can use my controller to run my 7 locos and still be able to control the turnouts. Please let me know if I've understood the operation correctly.

ACY

If you are running 7 locos simultaneously, you will need a booster if you plan to also use it to power a bunch of DCC turnouts, because the system can usually only handle a max of 4 non-sound locos running individually or 5-7 if you have them double, triple, or quadruple headed and combination thereof. So if you also have lighted passenger cars then you'll really want to add a booster, because that would likely be pushing the system past the limit.

lancer144

Thanks for the replies. I should have said control 7 locos, as I have not run 7 simultaneously. I understand the limitations of the controller and the most I have ever run simultaneously is 4 with no problems. I just wanted to be sure that I can still have 7 individual loco addresses and also be able to program the turnouts. Thanks again.

Joe323

Am I correct if I am reading this thread correctly, I can use the yellow if button to program 8 turnouts with separate addresses in addition to the 5 regular locos I have programmed?  If I an correct although expensive that would eliminate the rats nest of wires under layout over time.

Doneldon

lancer-

There is the possibility of controlling more then 8 turnouts if you program more then one turnout to work from a given turnout button. You might want this if you are lining several turnouts to get into or out of a yard, for example, or to control two turnouts at a crossover. In theory you could do this for multiple unrelated turnouts, too, but then you'd end up with an unholy mess which would be really frustrating to operate.

You might need a capacitive discharge circuit to throw multiple turnouts. Folks have told me they can throw as many as three, as long as only one train is running, using just the normal current in the turnout system. I don't know that programming more than one turnout per control button is a great idea but it's one way to expand the reach of the EZ Command. Be aware, though, that you might need that CD system to make it all work. Also, I must warn you that I have not personally done this; I am only reporting what two trusted friends have done and what sounds like it ought to work.
                                                                                                                                                          -- D