Berkshire with Flickering Firebox and Mars Light

Started by RunningTrains, March 03, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningTrains

Which Bachmann Berkshire in HO include the Flickering Firebox and Mars Light?

How hard is it to install a Tsunami Decoder, Heavy Steam & Bass reflex speaker in this model?

I can not find any descriptions about this anywhere on this site.

I run MRC Advance (older model) DCC.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

jonathan

John,

I may be wrong, but I have the Berkshire and Mountains.  I believe the Mountains (4-8-2) were the only Bachmann Locos with the firebox light.  I don't recall a berk (2-8-4) every having that feature.  On a side note it's darn near impossible to see the firebox light when the loco is moving.

There is lots of space in the Berk tender, and even holes ready for a speaker, can't recall what size is appropriate.  Anyway, fitting the new decoder and speaker should be pretty straight forward.

The Berk is not a Spectrum model, but looks as good as a Spectrum.  It does need a little tweaking.  You will want to add at least a couple ounces of weight to the loco.  I put 1 ounce in the firebox, 1/2 ounce in the domes, and another 1/2 ounce just forward of the cab.  This improved the balance (moved it a little more forward) and traction was greatly enhanced. It went from pulling 20 cars up to 33 cars with ease (1.5% grades on my mainline).  I haven't tried to find it's max pulling capacity, yet.

With the added weight of the speaker, you shouldn't have to add any additional weight to the tender (opinions will vary).

The motor is strong and the loco is a smooth runner.  I've run it in DC and DCC and have been very happy with it.

Oh, and the loco needs a crew.  Maybe that's why it's not a Spectrum. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

WTierce1

Sorry but the Berk does not have a firebox feature.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

RunningTrains

Thanks for the fast response.

Since the firebox is hard to see while it's running, guess I'd be happy to get the NKP #759 Rail Fan Version with the Mars light.

I just bought a Southern 2-10-2 and it really runs very good for the price I paid.

Details are nice, but I tend to break those, so Bachmann's are a good fit for me.

I've had to cut back from buying MTH steam & BLI is too slow in bring out new models, I thought I'd try the Bachmann.

I've read all the comments about running 2-10-2's on 18" curves - I ran mine on 22" curves for about 100 hours, then tried it on my 18" curved section that has 3% inclines - it will pull about 8, 40' cars or 6, 50' up these incline without wheel slip and no derailing.

I am very pleased and now want a Berkshire.

I'll put sound in both of these.

THANKS,

John