Elevated rail track pier in HO

Started by index2020, January 24, 2011, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index2020

Hi,

I'm trying to build an elevated rail track to run above a base layer of tracks (think like the New York/Chicago subway lines which run over street / other tracks (in HO scale). However, I am having a hard time finding the piers to run the tracks on. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Cheers,

Joe323

Perhaps you could contact Island Model Works LLC.  They make a number of shells for various commuter lines.  While they do not manufacture track or peirs they might be able to point you in right direction.  There is also a club that models the NYC subway do a google search they might be able to help.

Jim Banner

Subways normally run under the street.  Commuter trains that run on elevated track are usually referred to as "els," a contraction of "elevated."  Having said that, what do you call a train that runs on elevated track, then on street level track, then underground?  Darned if I know.

If you want to go New York style, you would probably be looking at track on steel bridges supported by laced girders.  Central Valley used to produce laced girder kits but I believe the only way they sell them now is as part of their bridge kits.  However, you might be able to use the other pieces to build your bridges.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jhanecker2

Jim :  If your from Chicago  you call it the CTA . John II

Jhanecker2

index 2020 :  Somebody does make make elevated type structures . I remember seeing them in the Walter's reference Catalog for HO Scale 2010 .  I believe it was in the structures  section . John II

Jhanecker2

Thank You Hunt. That was awsome. John II

jsmvmd

Dear Jim,

Subways normally run under the street.  Commuter trains that run on elevated track are usually referred to as "els," a contraction of "elevated."  Having said that, what do you call a train that runs on elevated track, then on street level track, then underground?  Darned if I know.

You call it Philadelphia !

Hunt, Impressive !

Best Wishes,

Jack

mabloodhound

The Imagine That link that Hunt posted has some nice items for just what you want to do.   They have been a good company to do business with also.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.