News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP7 and GP9 suggestion

Started by NuthinDragginOwt, February 01, 2011, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuthinDragginOwt

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but have been an avid  model railroader for nearly 30 years in both HO and N scales. I saw the new Bachmann GP7s and 9s, they look good, and I am sure they run as well as the newer releases from Bachmann. I have a suggestion though, is there any chance, in the future that these 2 locomotives could be offer in undecorated or unlettered? I say this because the it is continually hard to find good undecorated locomotives anymore for custom paint, which I enjoy doing, being mainly that Atlas was the only other manufacturer to do these models in undecorated. I know I speak for several people that desire to paint these engines in road names that with either not be produced, or freelance railroads, or even making difference engine numbers and/paint schemes/variations. The models do look good, and would buy some of them for painting. Thanks

jake_iv

undecorated GP7/9 -

Historical note - The Atlas GP7/9 was made by Sanda Kan.  SK was acquired by Bachmann (Kader) in late 2008. 

There is a good possibility that the new Bachmann GP7 will take the Atlas shell which is still available from Atlas parts.

The other real simple option for someone who wants to custom paint and letter their loco is "Scalecoat II Wash Away".  Since I model the Maryland & Pennsylvania and the Verde Tunnel and Smelter Railroads, and factory decorated equipment is rare I have used Wash Away on Atlas, Bachmann, Intermountain, Kato, Kadee, Life Like, Model Power, Proto, Rivarossi and Roco shells.  In addition to striping factory lettering and paints from the model, it preps the shell for the new paint job by thoroughly cleaning all mold release agents and misc. oils and finger prints pror to painting. 

As a plus, it can be reused over and over again.  I have been using the same pint bottle for the last 20 or 25 N scale bodies and for 8 HO passenger cars and 3 loco shells.  It even strips that European silver paint from passenger cars.  It has never damaged any shell I used it on.