News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound-Equipped 4-8-4 Class J

Started by Ianw, February 01, 2011, 12:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianw

What is minimum radius track for this loco?
What era-compatible coaches are available?

Thanks,
Ianw

ACY

22" is the minimum radius, but it will run much better on 24", coaches/passenger cars that go with it will also probably need somewhere between 22" and 28" minimum radius curves. Bachmann formerly made N&W Heavyweight coaches, and they are still available as new old stock from some retailers.

Ianw

Thanks.
Is there a list available on this forum of ho locomotives versus minimum radius? I have a feeling that people, including myself, are probably covering old ground with questions like mine.

Thanks

ACY

I have not seen a list, you can send me a message with a list of all the locomotives you are interested in and I can tell you Bachmann's minimum radius.

WTierce1

22'' Radius will be fine. I have the Cavalier set and that is what it came with and they are the same loco only one has sound. As a matter of fact mine will run on 18'' radius but not well enough I would put it on a layout with 18''.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ACY

I have 2 4-8-4 J class locos (both versions) and neither will make 18" radius, and one does not like, but will run on 22" radius.

Doneldon

Ian-

There's a problem with the idea of a list of what locomotives will run on what radius curves. That problem is that one example of a given loco will make it around a certain radius but another example of the same loco might not. How can this be in the day of mass production, interchangeable parts and uniformity? Beats me. But you'll find many, many examples of just this phenomenon if you prowl around on these Bachmann boards for a while. Bottom line? Minimum radius numbers are just suggestive, not definitive, and you have to experiment if you want to know for certain whether your given loco will clear 18" or 22" or x".
                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on February 02, 2011, 03:39:36 AM
There's a problem with the idea of a list of what locomotives will run on what radius curves. That problem is that one example of a given loco will make it around a certain radius but another example of the same loco might not.
I was just going to tell him what Bachmann recommends, which usually is safe, I rarely see a loco not make Bachmann's recommended minimum radius.

kjtyo4

I am making this for my wall layout  N&W. I am going to be using flex track to get 24 to 26 radius. I like using it cause you can compare. Put a cpl coaches on and see if you need to adjust. Or same with the engine I like to give it a little leway on the turns meaning not putting the trucks and wheels to the max while turning. It works so you can get it just right and is good to use for in between radius pre made track.
Kenny.