News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann GP7, GP9s, RS3 suggestion

Started by NuthinDragginOwt, February 01, 2011, 03:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NuthinDragginOwt

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but have been an avid  model railroader for nearly 30 years in both HO and N scales. I saw the new Bachmann GP7s and 9s, along with the RS3s, they look good, and I am sure they run as well as the newer releases from Bachmann. I have a suggestion though, is there any chance, in the future that these 3 locomotives could be offer in undecorated or unlettered? I say this because the it is continually hard to find good undecorated locomotives anymore for custom paint, which I enjoy doing, being mainly that Atlas was the only other manufacturer to do these models in undecorated, as well as Proto 2000 doing the Geeps. I know I speak for several people that desire to paint these engines in road names that with either not be produced, or freelance railroads, or even making difference engine numbers and/paint schemes/variations. The models do look good, and would buy some of them for painting. I am also posting this in the N scale forum. Thanks

ACY

All you have to do is apply a coat of paint over the loco or remove the previous decal's and you have an undecorated loco, if you are going to be custom painting/decorating it anyways what is the difference it is originally unpainted or a painted unit.

ebtnut

Just to be clear, the lettering on the Bachmann models (as with almost all commercial models) is paint or ink, not decals, applied with a fancy rubber stamp machine.  Depending on the material, the lettering may be fairly easy to remove, or almost impossible short of stripping down the entire model.  I've had some success with a product called "Goof-off", available at most hardware and home stores. 

NuthinDragginOwt

Quote from: ACY on February 01, 2011, 03:55:07 PM
All you have to do is apply a coat of paint over the loco or remove the previous decal's and you have an undecorated loco, if you are going to be custom painting/decorating it anyways what is the difference it is originally unpainted or a painted unit.
The difference is the QUALITY of your paint job, here are several reasons why undecorated models are better for custom painting:
-When you paint over a pre-painted model with printed on lettering and striping, that will all show through you new paint job. Also layers of different paint colors will show through where there are 2 or more colors used on the shell. The only ways to remedy this is to A: Strip that paint or B: apply so much paint that you cover up this issue, along with all the details on the model shell (not desirable).
-Stripping paint and decals works sometimes, other times it doesn't so well. Decals aren't that hard to remove as long as there are multiple coats of clear or dull coat over them. To strip models you can use Chameleon paint stripper for plastic, 91% rubbing alcohol, or sometimes Brake Fluid (this can damage some plastics), but it will not always work properly. Sometimes it will take all the paint off, sometimes it wont at all. Usually too then you have the fun of picking paint out of all the small crevices, failure to remove fragments of the old paint job WILL show in your model.
-Undecorated locomotives also tend to be a little cheaper, and less work in the end that buying a pre-painted model that you'll have to strip and repaint. With an undecorated model, you primer it (some modelers dont, just my personal preference), then paint it, and you will have a nice thin coat of paint, which allows all the details on the shell to show through.
-Depending on manufacturer, pre-painted (lettered and unlettered) models have different qualities and thicknesses of their paints. Most manufacturers do not use any of the commercially available paints available at your hobby shop, they can thick or thin when applied, and whoever or whatever applies the paint can make some models already have a pretty thick paint job. Now by adding another layer of your own paint, you hare making it thicker, covering all your details.
-Pre-painted models come usually fully assembled, ready for decals, but when your custom painting, you want those details either easily removable, or not applied at the factory at all, so you can paint the model, and not have to paint or tape around obstructions.
-Unfortunately doing an painted/unlettered version of these units would be somewhat difficult because how many paint schemes and colors were applied to these engines. Steam engines and industrial locos are different because there was typically very common colors or striping used on them, road diesels are a different story

BillD53A

It can be difficult, and expensive, to remove existing paint.  Detail is obscured with each succesive layer of paint.  If my loco is painted green with yellow stripes, and I want to paint it red, I will have to undercoat it, and I will have a model with 4 coats of paint on it.  An undecorated model gives much better results.

ACY

Quote from: NuthinDragginOwt on February 01, 2011, 05:01:14 PM
The difference is the QUALITY of your paint job...
If it is such a big deal then just buy the Atlas or Proto 2000 locos, they are fine running locomotives. I have never had an issue stripping the paint and lettering on a Bachmann loco, and the person that painted them for me had no trouble either. Have you personally tried stripping and repainting a Bachmann version of one of these locos, if not try it first before you complain.

NuthinDragginOwt

I am not complaining, simply suggesting, because of the availability of these engines over trying to find Proto and Atlas models in Undecorated. No need to get upset because other people opinions don't match yours. We are all here to learn, and help one another, and discuss Bachmanns Product Line and ways we enjoy it and can possibly improve it. Not all opinions will be the same. I have stripped Bachmann models before, some went well, some not so much, again, undecorated models create typically a better product, and you save time and cash by getting them. Unless you are directly working for Bachmann, I think this is up to them to decide whether or not this is a good idea, it is obvious there are other fellow modelers out there that agree that undecorated models are easier to work with than to strip a pre-painted one

ACY

I'm not saying it wouldn't be easier, nor am I saying it would not benefit modelers. All I am saying is that for Bachmann to do something, they need to be 99% certain that they will get a gigantic pile of money as a result of whatever they decide. Bachmann does well as is, unless what they do will make a significant positive financial impact, it does not make sense for them to do it. Whether doing this will yield a gigantic pile of money, I don't know, but Bachmann would have a pretty good idea, and will act accordingly. Ultimately Bachmann is a corporation, corporations are mostly interested in what they can do to make the most money with the least amount of work, although they want to keep all the customer base happy, as long as they maintain a nice pile of money there is no reason to change what they are doing because it must be working.

NuthinDragginOwt

I completely agree, all manufacturers, train or non-train are obviously out there to make money, but I threw the suggestion out there because its beneficial in a couple ways. One being its easy to manufacture (no paint required, leave some assembly for the buyer instead of paying someone or paying for run time on a machine to apply them) and it is beneficial for the availability to modelers out there who enjoy custom painting. Anything in the business world can be a gamble, I am sure for Bachmann, for example, the E33s, Steam Engines, and the entire On30 line was somewhat of a gamble, because it only appealed to certain modelers. Because Bachmann decided to take a chance, they probably brought in new interests to modelers with these products. Like you said, it is Bachmanns decision on whether this is a good idea or not, but the suggestion is out there, now it is up to them to decide.

uncbob

I got the Atlas RS3 undecorated and painted in my RR colors
However it is non DCC

NuthinDragginOwt

Very nice models on your website, I have done Atlas RS3s in Reading, but have a growing list of models to custom paint. Its too bad theyre not so easy to come by in undecorated sometimes

uncbob

You are right about undecorated not that easy to find
I had to repaint  an Erie to get a FA for the ME&O

rogertra

I agree - Very manufacturer should provide "undecs".

kjtyo4

I dont know if engine bodys are streyne plastic or not  but I use castrol super clean to strip bodys and works really well and dose not hurt the body. I do car modeling as well and this is what I use for it, never tried on a engine body.
Just a thought.
Kenny