News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to Model Railroading

Started by ericw95, January 30, 2011, 08:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericw95

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to model railroading and have just finished my first layout. Being my first layout, I made various mistakes and hope to rectify them with a new layout. First, how does atlas code 55 run versus peco code 55? Also, are peco code 55 turnouts compatible with atlas code 55 flex track? Finally, what book works the best as a general overview to creating a layout? Thanks for any input guys!

jake_iv

Jeeze, sounds like you got the dregs of the production run.  I shook mine out of the box - checked it for proper lube too much grease is not unheard of and after 1 hour of breakin at various speeds it has run like a top.  Runs so well that I invested in a Vande tender and a number of details to  turn it into an acceptable model of the C & O J3A #610.

Laura is a jewel though, she has always been a great help to me whether as a dealer or a customer.

I have to wonder though about the price you paid.  Current MSRP on the Empire Builder is $240 - wholesale from Walthers is $144 and Distributer cost from Bachmann regional warehouse is $101; the 2006/2007 price was $84 Distributor cost and $200 retail.  I know that there are some great buys on Amazon I shop there too but if I read your post correctly you got the set for 10% to 20% of current retail.  A sale price in the range of $85 to $125 from someplace by Favorite Spot or M B Klein I could see since they are Distributors  - but $25 to $50???

The best part though is Bachmann's liberal warranty.  Even if you had bought a used train at a garage sale the warranty charge to repair or replace with the same unit would be $25 or less.

When you get your new loco check it for signs of lots of grease.  If you happen to get a unit that was lubed by a new farm girl too much grease can liquify and mess up your traction tires, electrical pickups and in some cases even short out the motor.  I like to clean all new locos with CRC "QD Electronic Cleaner" that I get at  Auto Zone in an 11 oz spray can.  Just spray motor gears, running gear, etc. in short bursts until you can't see any more grease.  Wait until it is thoroughly dry then use Bachmann, Labelle or Model Power plastic compatable lube to lightly lube the mechanism.  Just one drop on each of the motor bearings and gears is all you need. I put a drop on the side rods also.

ericw95

I removed some of the blackening stuff from under the wheels and adjusted the traction tires, as well as bought some nicer kato unitrack. i can honestly say I'm pretty impressed by the difference in performance! Before adjusting, the lowest speed it could handle was 30% with a spectrum magnum powerpack, now it can easily manage 18! The jerk is now completely gone, it might've been some issue with pickup or something, but its fixed now so I'm happy. I didn't pay for it at all actually, i had an old Bachmann 2-8-0 consolidation that sufferred from some cracked gears from the time i packed it up a few years ago when I was 10. When I picked it up three months ago, it ran horribly so i sent it in with 15$$$ and this is what i got back. It really is amazing to me the improvements in running from the old model to the new model.