decoder for ho ballast spreader item no 16947

Started by sclass, January 29, 2011, 02:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sclass

can anybody please advise me of the correct dcc decoder  (part no or brand) to use in my newly aquired MOW ballast spreader thank you

Jim Banner

There is no single correct decoder but there are many decoders that may fit.  By rights, you should start by measuring the current draw of the motor at 12 volts with the motor shaft held stopped (CAUTION - do this test quickly to avoid overheating the motor.)  Once you know the stall current for the motor, all you have to do is select a decoder that (a) can deliver the current (b) is small enough to fit, and (c) has the features you want.  I would suggest looking at the low cost Digitrax DZ125 decoder which can handle 1 amp and is tiny but has only front and rear light functions.  Other than a limited number of functions, it has lots of goodies - speed tables, BEMF control, etc.  Its sister decoder, the DZ143, has 4 function outputs if you would like to add ditch lights or strobes or ??  Other, larger decoders will give you even more functions to play with.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

sclass

Thank you Jim.perhaps I disd not express myself clearly I am aware of the functions of the decoder .on the sht that came with the unit they had a line drawwing of where the decoder plugs in and I thought perhaps bachmann had a specific decoder for this purpose.i will certainly look at the digtrax decoders you referred to.I may use an NCE N12 RS WHICH WOULD FIT IN THE SPACE ALLOCATED AND I COULD HARDWIRE IT IN.regards Bill SCHWENSEN