News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

J1 (4-8-2) Assembly

Started by hacketet, February 03, 2011, 11:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hacketet

I had to perform some minor maintenance on a C&O 4-8-2.  Reassembly is a bit of a puzzle as far as the front end goes.  There are interference fits between the smokebox shell and the front ladders and smokebox stays.  Does anyone have information on the assembly sequence for this model.  I don't want to modify it in any way to 'make it fit.'

jonathan

hacketet,

I don't recall the pilot configuration on the C&O version.  I have the undecorated version.  

I leave the smokebox 'stays' in the pilot, and swing them out away from the boiler.  When reassembling, it's simply a matter of swinging the stays back and pushing the wire back into the little holes in the boiler.  The ladders didn't seem to interfere with anything that I recall.

I find the 2-8-0 more difficult when it comes to shell removal--and that one is not too hard as it is.

Sorry I can't be more help.  It's been a while since I had to open up a mountain.

Regards,

Jonathan

hacketet

Thanks for the reply.  The C&O version has a bunch of stuff mounted on the front.  It is difficult to see, but I believe it is the pilot mounted headlight that is the problem.  It looks like loosening a screw above the pilot truck I can get enough movement to push the headlight out of the way.  After I put in my own more flexible wiring harness I'll give it another try.