News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Platform sound control

Started by Ed Kunkel, February 04, 2011, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Kunkel

My tracks rest on a 16 feet by 10 feet U-shaped platform made of plywood and some old hollow-core doors.  The sound is tolerable but  am thinking of sliding some 4x8 sheets between wood and track to absorb some of the sound.  Is there a significant difference between effects of homosote compared to extruded polystyrene foam?  Or is there a better inexpensive alternative?
Thanks,
Ed

Doneldon

Ed-

Homasote will be quieter than rigid foam insulation. It's also pretty messy to work with. However, it is about the quietest base you can have unless you put your roadbed up on risers away from the sheet materials. That's a lot of work and perhaps expense. Track laid on cork, expanded foam or that sticky tar stuff is quite a bit less noisy than track with roadbed attached. It's more work, however, but it has compensating advantages like fewer track joints and easy custom alignments. Depending on what you use and where you get it, it it will likely be cheaper than sectional track with attached roadbed. So every material has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to make a decision for your own situation, budget, time and how much effort you want to put in. There are no right or wrong answers here, just your answer.

-- D

jward

i would favour the use of foam over homasote, given that the homasote absorbs moisture and can warp and expand. the foam is dimensionally stable.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ed Kunkel

Thanks D. and Jeffery,
Foam wins out as I don't need silence - just a bit less rumbling.
Ed

Doneldon

jw-

You are absolutely right about the homasote moisture gremlin.

-- D