Programming a 70 ton 3 truck Bachmann Climax

Started by ChrisWaring, February 01, 2011, 07:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisWaring

hi

I origionally posted this in the general area but got no answers at all, i am hoping someone on here can help.

I have just received a 70 ton climax with sound (very nice by the way) and am running it with my Lenz compact DCC controller. The locomotive runs fine with this controller but i am having trouble changing the address on the programing track. i just get a message cannot read CV. the locomotive makes a clicking noise as well. the Lenz compact i am using is about 10 years old and i do remember some time ago reading that this unit could not change CV's on all decoders. Is this problem due to something i am doing wrong or is the Lenz compact just not up to the job?

Thanks for reading

Chris.
Chris Waring

richg

Connect a 1000 ohm resistor to each rail while programing. I have seen this solution if a controller cannot read the decoder.

Rich

AMACH

Rich suggests connecting a 1000 ohm resistor to each rail. Please clarify. Do you connect a resistor in series with the feeder wire to each rail? Or is there some other connection such as across the both rails to achieve a better current sink?

jward

not sure what the solution for your particular unit is, but with digitrax zephyr, the resistor is palced across the rails in parallel with the locomotive you are trying to program.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ChrisWaring

Thanks all.

I will look into getting a modern controller.

Thanks again.

Chris.
Chris Waring