Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my first layout

Started by jboot111, February 02, 2011, 09:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jboot111

i have a basic layout formed, but i want to put dcc on it

ACY

Just buy a DCC system that you like and hook it up, well as long as you have a DCC locomotive.

jboot111

the thing is im just starting out and have no clue if i have a dcc train or not i am running dc right now

jward

what type of locomotive do you have?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jboot111

a first generation santa fe by bachmann i guess thats what its called

jboot111

i dont know much about dcc either

jward

my guess is that your locomotive is not equipped with dcc. i am still not sure what kind of locomotive it is. as such, i cannot tell you how to install a decoder, or even if that particular locomotive is worth the effort.

that said, dcc equipped locomotives are not that expensive, especially if you buy them online. i have seen bachmann dcc onboard diesels for under $50. figure on spending about $150-200 for a good entry level dcc system.

in converting to dcc, the system is going to be your main expense. the locomotive fleet can be bought or converted incrementally, but there really is no cheap way to buy the basic system. look for a system that is expandable, so that when if and when you decide to add to it, you don't have to replace the whole system. bachmann dynamis, digitrax zephyr and nce power cab are just 3 of the systems you should take a long look at.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

jb-

May I urge you to buy future locos with DCC installed? You'll probably
spend about the same money you'd spend on a non-DCC loco plus a
decoder but you'll save the time and aggravation.

Welcome to model railroading. I confidently predict you'll enjoy it!

-- D

jboot111