DCC decoder for Bachmann N scale Norfolk Southern EMD GP50 diesel locomotive

Started by racorsr, January 19, 2011, 08:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racorsr

Is it possible to install a decoder in the EMD GP50 locomotive? Need help on this

ACY

This loco is not DCC ready, and with N scale that means do not try to install DCC unless you are talented and really know what you are doing or know someone like that or someplace with a person like that to do it for you. This loco has a split frame if I recall correctly from when I had mine open a couple years ago. You need to isolate the motor before you do anything else, and that includes isolating the metal frame. After that you would need to probably do some milling and removing of some things to make room for a decoder and then you would be able to begin your install.

jake_iv

Actually it isn't too difficult.  The hardest part is deciding where to mount the decoder and making sure you have enough room for it.  Most split frame locos can have space in the frame milled or filed out enough to fit a Z scale decoder in. then connect two wires to the frame or pickups, two wires to the motor, two wires to the light and insulate every exposed solder point and electrical contact with shrink tubing or Kapton tape.  Use your VOM to check for shorts before you hook power to it then test it on the programming track.  Done!   

Most decoder manufacturer web sites have links to specific installation instructions and a listing of which decoder will fit in which loco. 

Every loco become DCC ready once you isolate the motor from the frame.  That can be difficult on some of the older open frame motors but it is fairly easy on the newer motors.  Even the Mantua open frame PM1 motor can be made DCC ready with only a piece of shrink tubing.  I have mounted a Digitrax DZ125 in the tender of the Bachmann 4-4-0 Jupiter and UP #119.  On top of the motor but I had to raise the wood load a little for clearance.  Instructions are on the web.

skipgear

Well, actually, it's a pain in the you know what to convert. I've done one, and that is the last one I will do. The loco doesn't run well enough to justify the work.

* There is no room in the frame to mount a decoder.
* The frame is very hard to mill for some reason, almost like steel.
* There is no easy way to attach power to the frame. I ended up drilling and tapping holes for screw, you can't get solder to stick to the frame.
* You need to add lighting some how as the factory lights slip into holes in the frame and the wires just happen to contact the frame if everything is right. They are too big to reuse, and include the wire needed to connect them without more milling.
* Electrical pickup is sketchy at best and when you go to DCC, it shows up even more.

It's just not worth the work. The decoder and install time would be worth more than the loco.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950